How many feeders are too many?

Rackhead

Just got a 140 acre lease and getting ready for the off season. How many feeders should i set up? And should I only have one mineral site? Thanks in advance

feathersandfur2214

2-Step Enabled
So what is the thought/science behind "no feeders". Now I understand if you are dealing with areas with plenty of food or you are just planning on putting 50 lb of corn in a feeder. But what if you have 2500-3000 acres of predominantly pine trees and you are feeding protein/mineral foods ?

Hunter 257W

I've seen recommendations for minerals every 50 to 100 acres. Of course some people say that minerals make no difference - and apparently there is no proof to the contrary - but there has to be a connection between diet and health so I continue to keep the "good stuff" out for deer from Spring to early Fall. By "good stuff" I mean the mineral mixes with the least salt.

I gave up on corn several years back except for this time of year to get a census of surviving bucks. However, since I still have 3 acres of standing corn this year, I may have more trouble concentrating the bucks to one spot for a photo session by using shelled corn. :)

TheLBLman

Rackhead":cb88ketn said:
How many feeders are too many?
One.

Just got a 140 acre lease and getting ready for the off season. How many feeders should i set up?
None. More trouble than worth, more costly than worth, counter-productive, and can facilitate increased mortality of the deer and turkey that feed there. On top of that, more likely to make you a worse hunter, not a better one. Put the same time, money, and effort into more trail cams, habitat manipulation (such as brush mowing, hinge-cutting, etc.) and you'll reap a much bigger reward.

And should I only have one mineral site?
One is probably enough but two or three might be better. All the deer using the property would probably be aware of at least one of your mineral licks if you have two on either side of that 140 acres.

BSK

Rackhead":19kb8u7k said:
And should I only have one mineral site?

That depends on what you are trying to accomplish with a "mineral" site. Are you trying to supplement health? Are you creating a place to run summer photo censuses?

No evidence exists that mineral supplementation of a wild, free-ranging deer population does anything for herd health/performance. With so many options for actions that clearly improve herd health, why would anyone spend time and money on something that does not?

As for salt licks for running summer censuses, one on a 140 acres might work, but I would recommend two or three.

BSK

feathersandfur2214":glz94cap said:
So what is the thought/science behind "no feeders". Now I understand if you are dealing with areas with plenty of food or you are just planning on putting 50 lb of corn in a feeder. But what if you have 2500-3000 acres of predominantly pine trees and you are feeding protein/mineral foods ?

feathersandfur2214,

First, no one really knows what the dietary needs of deer are. Now any time you improve a deer populations nutrition, you're going to see some improvements, but there's some pretty good research that much of what supplemental feed sellers focus on (protein) maybe highly overrated. Total energy consumption may be far more important. Second, the amount of money some ranches spend on feed supplementation that produces measurable results is astronomical (as in tens of thousands of dollars per year). Normally, I would say you can do much more with that money to produce more benefits. Lastly, much depends on the property size and orientation. I don't think hunters realize how much turnover in buck population even a sizeable property can see from season to season. What if few of the bucks being hunted on that property in fall actually live on the property at other times of the year? You could be feeding bucks all winter or summer that actually live somewhere else during the hunting season.

All the above said doesn't mean supplemental feeding doesn't have its place. In a large lease situation (thousands of acres) that is primarily pine plantation, and the lessees cannot alter the habitat, supplemental feeding may be the only way to produce large volumes of high-quality nutrition. But those lessees will need deep pockets to make a difference.

Rackhead

I am both trying to get a census of the deer population and grow a hearty and healthy deer herd. Alot of great info in yalls replies and I appreciate it.

BSK

Rackhead":1p0aciee said:
I am both trying to get a census of the deer population and grow a hearty and healthy deer herd.
If allowed, focus on habitat modification. If you cannot do that, the best thing you can do to affect herd health is manipulating the deer population. Keep the deer density well below maximum capacity, don't allow a highly skewed sex ratio, and allow the buck age structure to approach what is normal/healthy.