Hack & Squirt - Too late?

LanceS4803

My battle with sweet gum trees continues.
Roundup didn't work on samplings that were cut and stub soaked with it. Sprayed Roundup did kill the small trees, 1'-2' tall.

So, after reading more on here I got some Garlon and am going to use the hack & squirt technique on the larger trees, seed producers.
The sweet gums are just starting to turn color. Is it too late in the year to use the Garlon on them?
I hope they are still drawing fluids down the branches and trunk.

LanceS4803

The product book (triclopyr4) doesn't mention cutting the bark, only spraying it, and on trunks less than 6". Also, the closest I can find to proper mixing is 1:20 with oil or water.
Online I found directions for 1:1.
A few of questions:
Proper mix ratio for hack and squirt?
One hack per three inches of diamter?
Can this be done with water, or should it be with oil?

With rain coming tomorrow, I will have to wait until Friday to get started anyway.

MickThompson

First off, thank you for reading the label before using the herbicide. Triclopyr comes in 2 flavors: 3 (amine, water based) and 4(ester, oil based). As you found in the label, 4, being oil based, is used for basal bark applications. 3, the water based formulation, is the one you really want for hack and squirt. I've always run 1 part garlon 4 to 3 parts oil carrier. You can use this mix for cut stumps. The oil based formula works for bark applications because plants have waxy layers to hold in moisture, and the oil will penetrate it.

Garlon 3 (amine) works better for hack and squirt because it's water based. The tissues of a tree transport nutrients in a water solution, so the herbicide is more easily mobilized throughout the plant. 1:1 is the mix for triclopyr amine and water when doing hack and squirt.

Both are very useful chemicals for habitat work.

LanceS4803

Crap, wrong stuff (and it ain't cheap). That's why the label wasn't making sense to me.
So I've got the cut saplings covered with the 4.
What ratio is best for the 4 when painting/spraying stumps?

What is available locally (Co-Op, TSC) that approximates the 3 that I need for bigger trees, some are 12"-18" diameter? Mail ordering, with shipping, is expensive.

I really appreciate your time in helping me figure this out.
This wood plot has young white oak readily growing, I just need to get rid of the sweet gum that is taking over.

Latest posts