too big or too small

BDS05

Like many on here, not being in the woods during the offseason is killing me. Starting this weekend, I'm going to try coyote hunting. My question is should I use 30-06 or the .17? Ive hit yotes with the 06 and it definately leaves its marks. I'm wanting to try and keep the pelt. Is the .17 just simply put too small?

cecil30-30

Most people will say yeah,but i have shot 2 yotes with my 17 and either of them won't argue that its to small.Of course bullet choice is key.Don't use the Vmax,use the 20gr XTP.People act like coyotes are zombies that refuse to die..LOL Just like any other living thing,put the bullet where it needs to be and keep your shots with in the caliber's range and you'll kill em dead.

MWoodard

Use the 30-06 because when calling you do not always get the perfect shot.You might get lucky and not tear one up to bad but at least it will be dead.

Rowdy

Are those your only choices?

Either will work, but I'd opt for something more in the .204 to 22-250 range myself.

BDS05

Unfortunately, those are my only choices. I'd love to have something a little smaller than the -06.

10mm4me

I shot one with a 30-06 once and the entrance and exit holes were no larger than the diameter of the bullet. I shot one with a 5.56 once (a more traditional varmint round) and it left about an 8" exit wound. I know this isn't typical but you never really know what's going to happen. I hit it in the neck and the round keyholed out the soft tissue of the intercostals leaving a gory mess. Me personally, between an '06 and a .17, I'd go with the '06.

Latest posts