TN Musky

jb3

I've gone back and searched topics on the fish, but was wanting to know a good time of year to try and catch one. Also, any advice on guides would be great. Seems like Melton would be the place. I'd love to float the Collins as well.

Grnwing

I ll hit the Collins in April- it really depends on water levels, a good storm can muddy the water and raise it quickly. I haven't fished it in the fall but would imagine Oct/Nov would be a good time as well. Melton maybe a little more predictable and easier to acquire a guide. Good luck!

choupique

Grnwing":3bu6k8lz said:
I ll hit the Collins in April- it really depends on water levels, a good storm can muddy the water and raise it quickly. I haven't fished it in the fall but would imagine Oct/Nov would be a good time as well. Melton maybe a little more predictable and easier to acquire a guide. Good luck!

Muskies spawn around here during March- April. You might want to leave them alone then, and also in midsummer-early fall when water temps are above the mid-70s.

bjohnson

Not trying to hijack your thread but myself and a co-worker are planning a kayak trip on the Collins in early February. Neither of us have ever been on the Collins or fished for musky. Advice needed lol.

choupique

bjohnson":1t0exmjr said:
Not trying to hijack your thread but myself and a co-worker are planning a kayak trip on the Collins in early February. Neither of us have ever been on the Collins or fished for musky. Advice needed lol.

Wear your PFDs, use wire, and make sure you have a big net easily accessible. Wire jaw spreaders and long hemostats are your friends. Watch flows carefully before you go. If it's much over 2500 cfs at the McMinnville USGS gage, you might want to go fish the reservoir instead.

Grandslam11

They are in there for sure. I would recommend using a heavy lb test mono for a leader. Those fish are pressured pretty hard. My experience is you get more bites on a mono leader than a wire depending on water clarity. You'll get follow ups with wire but you want them to commit. Will you be in a boat, canoe, or kayak?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doskil

Wire leaders for sure.

Quality leaders not the junky Walmart ones.

Big lures. Muskies love big crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Plenty of places online sell musky specific lures and they are much bigger than your average bass lure.

7mm08

Doskil":2ulidf1a said:
Wire leaders for sure.

Quality leaders not the junky Walmart ones.

Big lures. Muskies love big crankbaits and spinnerbaits.

Plenty of places online sell musky specific lures and they are much bigger than your average bass lure.

Or just grab a live chicken an put a 2/0 hook for n it!!! When I go to IOWA and go to the fishing stores I can't get over how big those plugs are.

Melton Hill is full of guys from the North down here to Muskie fish since they are "ICED IN".

Biggun4214

Doskil":1xgp9mkc said:
There are rumours of big muskies in Douglas Lake as well.

I've seen more stripers from Douglas than musky. Several years ago I weighed a 25+ lb musky for a fisherman. He caught it crappie fishing on 4 or 6 lb test. Nolichucky has several though, I just don't hear or see many from Douglas.

Latest posts