TN Elk Quota Hunts open NOW for 2023! Don't miss out

fairchaser

A point system would basically guarantee that no one in the next generation would be able to hunt elk in TN because of point creep
I agree with the idea of point creep but I can enter my young grandchildren into the system now and maybe by the time they are young adults, they could be drawn.

MickThompson

I agree with the idea of point creep but I can enter my young grandchildren into the system now and maybe by the time they are young adults, they could be drawn.
Anyone that's not in the first year of priority points or misses a year will basically be booted by point creep until the entire pool turns over. I'd rather it just be a random lottery until such a time that points could draw with, say, 20 or less.

AT Hiker

Anyone that's not in the first year of priority points or misses a year will basically be booted by point creep until the entire pool turns over. I'd rather it just be a random lottery until such a time that points could draw with, say, 20 or less.
The pool would never turn over, ever.
I wouldn't mind seeing a TN hybrid bonus point come into play but we dont have enough elk tags.
For example; every resident could get a bonus point for each unsuccessful year (make those points cost money regardless what license you hold, also make those points disappear if you don't apply consecutive years, lastly that bonus point fee goes directly back to the elk).
Say TN has 10 elk tags, give 8 to the random and 2 to the bonus point.
Bonus points differ from preference points in that the more bonus points you have the more times your name goes into the hat. Just because you have the most points doesn't guarantee you a tag.
This hybrid, in theory, would reward the most loyal applicants by only lowering the draw odds by a little.

Or…leave it as is. Simple and fair.

fairchaser

The pool would never turn over, ever.
I wouldn't mind seeing a TN hybrid bonus point come into play but we dont have enough elk tags.
For example; every resident could get a bonus point for each unsuccessful year (make those points cost money regardless what license you hold, also make those points disappear if you don't apply consecutive years, lastly that bonus point fee goes directly back to the elk).
Say TN has 10 elk tags, give 8 to the random and 2 to the bonus point.
Bonus points differ from preference points in that the more bonus points you have the more times your name goes into the hat. Just because you have the most points doesn't guarantee you a tag.
This hybrid, in theory, would reward the most loyal applicants by only lowering the draw odds by a little.

Or…leave it as is. Simple and fair.
If you used a modified point system such that those with the most points have more chances to win. As an example, the draw would still be random but those with 20 points would have 20 chances to win vs 1. That would be fair and wouldn't develop the point creep.

Latest posts