TN Elk Quota Hunts open NOW for 2023! Don't miss out

Heath423

2-Step Enabled
Wife found that last night on WBIR and I forgot to go look, not sure why this is being started this early unless its to increase $$$ from out of state folks
What I read was to allow the quota winners more time to prepare and plan for the hunt. Which is a good thing I believe. I have always thought that the deer quota results should come out earlier.

AT Hiker

That's great! I put in every year just because it's free and you never know. I hope one day I will live to see a non quota hunt in TN. The elk restoration has been a real bonus but I would love to see them start a herd in middle TN.
Not to be morbid but I don't think you'll ever see that.

BSK

Not to be morbid but I don't think you'll ever see that.
Couldn't agree more. Although I am shocked at what a success the elk restoration program has been in TN (I expected disease problems to be an issue), I believe it has only been as successful as it has been because of the remoteness of the restoration area. Human density, and especially commercial agricultural production in those areas are quite low compared to most of Middle and West TN.

When managing white-tailed deer populations, the biological carrying capacity as well as the social carrying capacity must be considered. The biological carry capacity is the number of deer the landscape can feed. The social carrying capacity is the number of deer society will put up with considering car-deer collisions, disease issues, and deer eating expensive ornamental plants and especially commercial cash crops. I believe the higher human population and existence of large-scale cash crop production in Middle and West TN would never stand for a large free-ranging elk population. Hitting an elk with a car has a high probability of causing fatality to the human driver, and elk can eat a massive volume of commercial crops.

cecil30-30

Im tired of getting my hopes up of being drawn. Its such an isolated herd and obvious reestablishing them was a "look what we did" thing. Its accomplished nothing but more revenue for TWRA. Im out from now on.
I've always felt the same. Tn doesn't have the habitat for a strong elk herd. Look at the difference in ky elk herd. KY has great habitat with the mtn top removal coal mining that took place. TN is all big woods, very little open grazing areas for them.

mike243

Been several killed here since, you need to study up on this lol, but that was a strain I believe that is gone now, not sure what the differences are but we didn't put pets in Tn they trapped them from free range herds and turned them loose here I hope all you butholes that have a agenda with them or twra never put in for it, makes my odds better 🤣 , they had 2 meetings about them before they decided to get them, I went to both meetings, wasnt a large turn out but I spoke my mind about not charging lifetimes license holders not having to pay for the draw, they were of the mind that that shouldn't be covered, luckily it is,

Latest posts