Tips for hunting big woods.

chrmayo

I've always hunted smaller private places that have fields and little woods. I'm gonna hunt a few public places this season pretty hard. How do you guys go about hunting big woods with little to no fields.

deerfever

Get a high point also known as listening spot in my parts and then use the terrain to move in. Early season is tough with no green up so take your time moving in. Use the terrain to your advantage , . I want him looking for the hen not hanging up expecting me to come to him. Once I know he is committed I shut it down but some leaf scratching. I try to position myself to where when I see him it's pretty much over. It's key to keep him guessing and looking for you but not let him pin point you . In other words don't over call, I have actually had turkeys get by me looking for the hen and let them walk off so I can turn on the tree and call them back to shoot . Now with all that prepare for public land birds to whip you on a regular basis! Those jokers are crafty as can be! Totally different than private birds or at least in my parts they are.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
I agree with deer fever. Try and find a high ridge to start on and work your way out while they are still on the limbs listening for birds. I have killed 80% of my big woods birds on a ridge back and called them up and point it out of a bowl. It is easier to call them up hill than it is to call them downhill. I love a good oak flat with steep drop offs on 2 of the 4 sides.

timberjack86

How big? National forest big? It's my favorite hunting. Pick an area on the topic map that looks good and start there. Learn it inside and out. Scout hard before season just to be sure turkeys are there. If not move on. You'll find em

beefydeer

I am a novice. What if there is no terrain such as these flat bottoms in west Tennessee? How do get an advantage there?

megalomaniac

I'm not really that good in the big govt woods, just started last year, but I had some success.

What I did was look for as much habitat diversity in a small area on public that was fairly close to private. I tried to pick out 3 to 5 spots each day scouting/hunting to cover. Then I covered as much ground as fast as I could until I struck a bird or found fresh sign. I came back to the areas with fresh sign and slowed down. The harder to access the areas, the less pressure from other hunters. Some spots might be only a few hundred yards from the parking spot, but you have to crawl under the dense vegetation to get to the open woods birds will use.

Killing birds is EASY. Finding them is the hard part. In the past 2 weeks in South MS, I've hit over 20 spots on national forest covering ground and calling. I've yet to strike a single bird, and have only found one set of jake tracks. But there just is NO substitute for boots on the ground and miles and miles covered.

I did find a pretty waterfall today... just enjoy the journey and savor all the new experiences. Finding birds isn't supposed to be easy. But that makes it even more special when you do find the needle in a haystack.

timberjack86

I'm not really that good in the big govt woods, just started last year, but I had some success.

What I did was look for as much habitat diversity in a small area on public that was fairly close to private. I tried to pick out 3 to 5 spots each day scouting/hunting to cover. Then I covered as much ground as fast as I could until I struck a bird or found fresh sign. I came back to the areas with fresh sign and slowed down. The harder to access the areas, the less pressure from other hunters. Some spots might be only a few hundred yards from the parking spot, but you have to crawl under the dense vegetation to get to the open woods birds will use.

Killing birds is EASY. Finding them is the hard part. In the past 2 weeks in South MS, I've hit over 20 spots on national forest covering ground and calling. I've yet to strike a single bird, and have only found one set of jake tracks. But there just is NO substitute for boots on the ground and miles and miles covered.

I did find a pretty waterfall today... just enjoy the journey and savor all the new experiences. Finding birds isn't supposed to be easy. But that makes it even more special when you do find the needle in a haystack.
In your situation, sounds like you just lack turkeys period. If I was tied to the property I would just keep looking and scouting instead of hunting and save the hunting for when I find them.

megalomaniac

In your situation, sounds like you just lack turkeys period. If I was tied to the property I would just keep looking and scouting instead of hunting and save the hunting for when I find them.
Correct, there are very few turkeys on the southern half of Desoto National Forest any longer. ( somewhat better population up at the northern half). That's what makes it fun. Plus, it's only 20 min from my house, so I can hunt more frequently and actually spend more time in the woods without having to make a long drive elsewhere. Heck, I covered 4.5 miles this morning and still made it to church on time. :) Saw 2 spots that should have a bird in them at some time during the season, and another 3 that were total busts.

At this point in my life, I've killed so many turkeys I'm looking for the experience itself. Killing a turkey is just icing on the cake. I'd rather get to spend 10 days in the woods hunting with just a chance at a kill vs only 1 day hunting with a guaranteed kill.

The bad thing is that it's really hard on my kids to drag them all over the national forest and never hear a bird. They get discouraged after just a couple hunts.

chrmayo

It being close to home is what got me wanting to hunt it plus I lost most of my private hunting land. I figure if I'm only 30 minutes from that much public hunting ground I would be a fool not to try it. There is a smaller public spot closer that's all river bottoms that I'm itching to try also but it doesn't open until the 2nd week of season. Hunting public is new to me and I'm sure I'll end up pulling my hair out over a lot of stuff that goes with it but I'm looking forward to something new.

timberjack86

Correct, there are very few turkeys on the southern half of Desoto National Forest any longer. ( somewhat better population up at the northern half). That's what makes it fun. Plus, it's only 20 min from my house, so I can hunt more frequently and actually spend more time in the woods without having to make a long drive elsewhere. Heck, I covered 4.5 miles this morning and still made it to church on time. :) Saw 2 spots that should have a bird in them at some time during the season, and another 3 that were total busts.

At this point in my life, I've killed so many turkeys I'm looking for the experience itself. Killing a turkey is just icing on the cake. I'd rather get to spend 10 days in the woods hunting with just a chance at a kill vs only 1 day hunting with a guaranteed kill.

The bad thing is that it's really hard on my kids to drag them all over the national forest and never hear a bird. They get discouraged after just a couple hunt
Sounds just like my deer hunting in the Cherokee national forest! I got access to a small piece of private property when the kids go so they can at least see a deer.

Bgoodman30

Find turkey sign in woods, get comfortable tree, call, take nap, wake up to gobble.. Repeat

Or cover ground and hammer ridge tops with box call. Depends on the birds.. Good luck

catman529

Start on top of a main ridge where you can hear all the points coming off that ridge and also hear across the hollers on either side. Finding a bunch of points leading down into a creek drainage seems to be pretty consistent for me in finding birds.

Latest posts