Tips and tricks

lafn96

What's everyone's tips/tricks for deer hunting that others may not know of or thought about?

I like to cut out a piece of carpet/old rug for my pop-up blinds and for when I'm hunting on the ground so I don't make any noise on the leaves/sticks/grass when moving my feet or shift my chair. Raking it is a good idea if you don't have or want to use carpet.

DMD

Alligator strap with a couple hooks taken from an old ratchet strap to put around the tree to hang gun, bow, backpack, etc on. Takes seconds to put on and take off, solid as a rock.

themanpcl

My tips and tricks are more of the "if you can't be an example, be a warning" variety..lol... 1) Don't cut too much out of the tree you are hunting in. 2) DONT MOVE WHEN THEY ARE LOOKING AT YOU. 3) Look around and look around again before you dig in your backpack for a snack. 4) ALWAYS SIGHT IN YOUR MUZZELLOADER BEFORE AN OUT OF STATE HUNT. 5) Shoot does early season if they present 'cause you won't see them when you "want" to shoot them at the end of the season. 6) Whatever the weather guessers say is going to happen, it's not. Bring raingear. 7) If it says sunrise is 6a, arrive at 4a. 8) Bring it. You may not need it but you may. 9) SLOW DOWN. Better to get there silent and late than noisy in a hurry. 10) Cousin Eddie (foodplot101) will be late, will forget something, will miss but will be sure it was a solid hit..... LOL

Shed Hunter

Learned from Bowriter when walking if a deer sees you run at it. Many times the deer will be confused as to what you are and what is going on. The deer will attempt to circle downwind of you and you may likely get a shot.

Ski

Don't shoot the first doe that pops out in the open, because chances are it's a button buck.

Don't make eye contact if a deer has you pegged. If you must, do it with one eye closed. Better to not even be looking its direction.

Toilet paper is good for more than just emergencies. It works great for marking a blood trail as you go.

DMD

You got any picts of that? That sounds awesome
alligator strap.jpg

A strap like this comes with Summit tree stand. You can order them on ebay or amazon. They come in green instead of red. LOL!

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
What's everyone's tips/tricks for deer hunting that others may not know of or thought about?

I like to cut out a piece of carpet/old rug for my pop-up blinds and for when I'm hunting on the ground so I don't make any noise on the leaves/sticks/grass when moving my feet or shift my chair. Raking it is a good idea if you don't have or want to use carpet.
I rake and use a piece of sample carpet. Keeps my feet warmer than on the cold ground. Had to soak it in baking soda and water then hung it out to get rid of that new carpet smell. Even in a blind they can detect movement. After I Started hanging Camo over the windows I see a lot more deer up close and personal.

348Winchester

I try to remember to carry tp with me so I don't have to cut my underwear off, cut my shirt tail off or use a sock! Lol
A friend of mine gave me these little discs of compacted paper wrapped up individually like a piece of candy. A little water and they make a very nice moist towelette to really mop out that ass and avoid the ol' greasy itch which can put a serious damper on a hunt.

rmmonty32

If you are allergic to poison ivy like me. I leave a bottle of rubbing alcohol in my truck with a rag and rub down with it after hunting in areas where i have been exposed to it.

WilcoKen

I'd have to say, peeing in a scrape. When I first started hunting I would have thought I ruined the entire woods peeing anywhere. I saw a scrape pee post here about 10 years ago and put it to practice. Saw bucks in the same scrape next morning. Now I just let it fly whenever--at 51, thats a relief.

A couple more to add--Dont go touching rubs or lick branches. Sort of counter to peeing in a scrape--I know. As for calling, try the snort wheeze--I dont use that call much but I believe it calls in the dominant buck if he is within the sound of your call. I just use my mouth and open fist. It's worked twice for me. Keep in mind, you may push out a good subordinate buck though. Just my observations....

Last edited:

Latest posts