Tick Study

HoytDawg

This is pretty good evidence that humans don't need to worry about CWD, right? Given how long CWD has been around, surely have been more than a few ticks that traveled from a deer to a human. I'm not a scientist though may be completely wrong.

mike243

Looks to me like the tics can transfer it to other animals. All the more reason to take precaution against the little bastiges

Omega

Once a tick gets hold, do they move to different hosts? I'd think they only move on once the host dies and starts to get cold.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
Looks to me like the tics can transfer it to other animals. All the more reason to take precaution against the little bastiges
In reality this is blood to blood transmission! Not a biologist here but blood to blood can expose vulnerabilities unknown!

In the end any and creatures may contribute to the spread.

Give myself a good dose of Happy Jack and ivermecton before I hit the turkey woods
Might wanna start dosing your deer as well.

mike243

I have read for years of folks killing deer in other states as dosing them and covering with a tarp before they dress them, I haven't killed 1 covered with tics and lice but have seen some that others have in wTn

Speedwell-Hunter

This is pretty good evidence that humans don't need to worry about CWD, right? Given how long CWD has been around, surely have been more than a few ticks that traveled from a deer to a human. I'm not a scientist though may be completely wrong.
THIS. If ticks bite thousands of people per year and no CWD in a person, then this shows our fear of the disease is overblown. I agree.

RoyalPrudent

I'm not convinced of this. I think it probably doesn't come from most muscle tissue, but eating squirrel brains has been connected to crutchfield-jacobson's disease and it's a prion disease too. And mad cow can jump to humans (another prion disease. All the more reason to soak my hunting clothes in permethrin.

HoytDawg

I'm not convinced of this. I think it probably doesn't come from most muscle tissue, but eating squirrel brains has been connected to crutchfield-jacobson's disease and it's a prion disease too. And mad cow can jump to humans (another prion disease. All the more reason to soak my hunting clothes in permethrin.
I've always thought the same- why I've never worried about eating deer/elk meat (muscle), but been careful with my skinning practices around spine/lymph nodes.

I might be misunderstanding the study, but is it not showing that ticks pull enough prion out of a cwd infected deer to infect a different deer they attach too?

RoyalPrudent

I've always thought the same- why I've never worried about eating deer/elk meat (muscle), but been careful with my skinning practices around spine/lymph nodes.

I might be misunderstanding the study, but is it not showing that ticks pull enough prion out of a cwd infected deer to infect a different deer they attach too?
that's how i understood it.

Latest posts