Thoughts on Pinhoti dealing with pressure

TheLBLman

it is also foolish for anyone to think this issue of other hunters coming into a gobbling Tom is limited to public lands. I have hunted public lands almost as much as private, and my closest calls to getting shot (or shooting someone) have been on private, mostly by poaching trespassers. In fact, I almost shot a poaching trespasser myself who was sneaking up on a bird, and he shouldn't have been in the weedy background, in my field, 300 yds inside my property line.

Antler Daddy

I watched it. He waived and Repeated same thing twice in less than 30 seconds. There was a hint of frustration in his tone.

When hunting public, the most sickening feeling is hearing somebody whistle and then say hey! At first, you doubt what you heard, stop and listen. On the second whistle or hey, you see the guy waiving. At this point, you waive back and say sorry and start backtracking. Most times....

I took the kids hunting on last day of a public WMA for either sex in GA last year. I actually bought my license in the car before we entered the WMA. We drove around awhile and then parked. The nearest vehicle was 1/2 mile away parked at top off a cut Cotton field. I figured he was hunting the woods adjacent to the field at the top.

We parked at an access road that paralleled a creek drainage between that cotton field and older cut overs. We only had two hours to hunt and hoped to catch deer leaving bedding. 200 yards in, I put my son on a stump. 350 yards in, I put my daughter on to of a mound, and 100 yards later I get the whistle. The guy has basically hiked across that cotton field and climbed a tree on the opposite side of the creek from me in the bottom. I just waived and kept going. Texted my kids where he was and told them to stay put till I picked them up on the way back.

Long story short, I moved a few hundred yards down the trail and took a big doe about 20 minutes before end of shooting. I quickly gutted and headed to get kids for a long drag.

We talked to the guy as he was traveling out. He was friendly and congratulated us. There was no way that we could have known that he would park where he did, hike 800 yards and hang his stand 75 yards off another entry point trail.

I regretted shooting that deer. The freezer was full. We transferred ownership of that doe to a couple of guys at the Pilot station.i was so glad they took it. There is a funny story in that exchange. My daughter was shocked that I was talking to these guys and one looked like YouTube "black beetle juice". She secretly recorded the entire exchange. We laughed for days rewatching that video.

Long segway off topic, but my point is that it will happen to you on public. You have to use common sense, respect people's space and try to do the right thing.

Maude

A little harsh, maybe, but I don't think he did anything wrong. From what we see, I don't think the guys knew he was there and it was fair that they moved on. Obviously, fairly reasonable guys and were probably just as disappointed/frustrated as Dave. That's public land hunting.

paboom

I knew as soon as I saw it that the keyboard cowboys were going to be all up-in-arms.

He was blunt, but I wouldn't call him rude. No cursing, no yelling, just gave them instructions on next steps. I suppose some folks are expecting that he sat down and had tea with him, ask him about his family and take some prayer requests from him.

JCDEERMAN

Peace Out Goodbye GIF

😂 🤣😂

Stumpsitter

I didn't see anything wrong with that interaction.
He was there first those other people didn't know he was there and they left, like they should have. I'm sure his B.P. was getting up because he's probably had selfish idiots that would have just kept coming and boogered up the whole hunt because they weren't in the position that he was in. It's happened to anyone that hunts public, you get some good people that have some sportsmanship/ morals & then you get the selfish idiots that figure it's their spot or turkey or what have you. I've had my fair share of good and bad on public. It's to be expected. I always try to be polite until it's time to not be polite. But, there's very few things worse than 2 grown men arguing in the woods with loaded guns in their hands over a spot or a turkey. Sportsmanship, morals and common sense go along way in the woods and in life.

Andy S.

But, there's very few things worse than 2 grown men arguing in the woods with loaded guns in their hands over a spot or a turkey.
I could not agree more. WITH THAT SAID, isn't this exactly what Dave and all the Youtubers have been promoting and hanging their hats on........."recruit more hunters". How stinking ironic, if I must say so myself.

cowhunter71

A little harsh, maybe, but I don't think he did anything wrong. From what we see, I don't think the guys knew he was there and it was fair that they moved on. Obviously, fairly reasonable guys and were probably just as disappointed/frustrated as Dave. That's public land hunting.
I will agree with this. I know that "place" he is hunting better than most anyone. There are no "gates" there for the most part. People can come in from any and every direction, from either walking or ORV. Guys probably did not know he was there. They did the right thing by backing out. Dave was harsh, but no one is harsher than me in the same situation. That being said, I would have made it a point to try and find them boys after the fact, and give them my respect for doing the right thing. Dave is an excellent caller and a decent woodsman, I can admit to that, but I can't have any respect for someone who "crawls" Gobblers, period. Harsh yes, but that is how I and my crew role. A good lesson, to those that are willing to learn, is calling as much and as often as he does, will often stall Gobblers out just out of ethical range ;)

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
So if it had turned into a physical altercation, who would we blame?
Also, is Dave one of those dudes that has short man syndrome?
The one that came in on him and didn't back out would have been at fault. Those microphones amplify so we the viewer can hear. I highly doubt the other hunter heard what was said. Yes, could have been nicer, but maybe people shouldn't be so soft.

Jbird22

100% fact that people are too soft these days. Our country is what it is today because real men are fewer and farther between.

If you're worth your salt as a hunter you turn around when you walk up on someone who's between you and a turkey in that close of range, regardless of whether you're on public or private. I feel like I'd have attempted to just wave them off first and only followed up with words if that didn't work. Oh wait, isn't that what he did? When he waved them off they kept walking toward him. That would've aggravated me too.

Last edited:

Newt

I took it as when they stepped toward Dave they where probably just going to say sorry.. anyone else in here your aware of? and good luck! Would of took 5 seconds Communication is key and them boys could have had a clearer picture of what to do next what direction to head in etc. if he hadn't of been so short and kinda "bossy" lol. I am sure they entered at different gates thought they had it to there self struck a turkey and neither party was at fault other than I personally wouldn't have been so snappy but by all means Dave had first right to that particular bird and hats off to the other guys

triple threat

I didn't think he was rude. I doubt if they could hear what he was saying. Those words were for the camera kinda like what we really are saying to others "underneath our breath."
I can't speak to his calling too much. He's way ahead of me on the totals board.

AT Hiker

100% fact that people are too soft these days. Our country is what it is today because real men are fewer and farther between.
Hunters walk up to Dave, Dave waves them off and says something...they respond;

"Chickity-check yo' self before you wreck yo' self
Yeah, come on and check yo' self before you wreck yo' self
'Cause shotgun bullets are bad for your health....
....It's like a jungle sometimes it makes me wonder how I keep from going under..."

Hard enough😛

Bone Collector

I get tired of this crap too. I had a bird roosted one year. I got there early. Dude (I knew he knew the bird was there because I watched him from afar trying to call him in while he was going to roost) comes in and I let him know I am there. Unbeknownst to me, he goes 100 yds or so away where he thinks the bird is coming and sets up 2-3 decoys. Sun comes up bird gobbles, he starts calling. I thought maybe it was a hen. No way he didn't leave, knowing I was there. I am calling, and he is calling and I realize it is him. He is literally trying to duel with me to get the bird. So I called and shut up.... Bird came by me I shoot him, dude comes over and tells me it was his bird, because he roosted him... I explained that I watched him and where from and that I was watching the bird from a distance so as not to spook him, so I roosted him too. It's public land. I knew he was coming and beat him there. Therefore it is my bird to chase in my mind.

Last year I had two dudes come into a small block of woods, that I was hunting. I had shot a bird 5 days before. They were hunting nearby and I knew they heard me shoot. I parked walked about 2/3 the way in and stopped to check my phone to be sure I wasn't off course. I keep hearing this thumping noise and look up to see two guys walking at me with decoy bags bouncing off their legs... I told them I was there and they left, but they had to park where I parked to walk in. they knew it was a small area, and still went in.

This stuff happens a ton, but mostly during turkey season. During deer season, I have only had one minor issue. Most of the time they see you they move, but during turkey they just roll up on you.

Latest posts