thoughts on camera’s

BSK

I personally can't stand cameras! Other than surveying a new property to see what caliber of bucks are there, I have no use for them. I have seen hunters get completely obsessed with them, checking them so often that the cameras become detrimental from a scent and deer education standpoint. If you know your hunting ground's bedding areas, food sources, travel patterns, etc... and you know there are big deer, I encourage you to forego the cameras and just hunt. I've made the mistake of hunting a huge deer due to a trail camera pic... ended up passing many great bucks and frustrated!
Also good comments chewymalone. I too have seen hunters rely too much on cameras. They are a wonderful educational tool, but they are not the end-all-be-all, nor will they compensate for poor hunting techniques.

Headhunter

Don't want any cameras, don't need any cameras (well, except if there are trespasser issues) but to me cameras take away from hunting. Even though I believe cameras educate deer as much they do hunters, cameras also are the sole reason many deer are killed. Many hunters are not good at "hunting" but they are good at using cameras to locate and shoot deer. To me that is not hunting. That is shooting what the camera finds. Especially when the camera sends the pics to a phone or computer.

More importantly, cameras take away from hunting.

To each his own.

Kirk

I have been running cameras for at least 18 years. My camera usage started back with the old film cameras that took12-24 pictures then it was over. Cost a fortune to have them developed and printed. Didn't learn much from the cameras until the digital formats came along. Then the deer world changed for me. I finally had enough picture capacity to actually see several days, even weeks of deer movement.

I have literally watched fawns grow into to adults using the cameras. Most deer look very similar but some are so distinctive you can name them and watch them over a couple of years. A scar, a white patch that is little wider, and even size helps me identify specific deer. I had an old doe several years ago that was nocturnal, never ever once got a daylight picture of her. She was huge compared to the other does and had a place on her shoulder that looked like and old injury. At first I thought she was an antlerless buck but changed my mind when I saw she had fawns the next year. I named her Megadoe and watched her for at least 5 years. One day the pictures of her stopped. I will admit it was upsetting that she was gone.

All this to say, cameras will educate you on the deer you have on a property. Might not see them all but it will give you a great idea of how many and what quality of deer you have.

Ski

I have literally watched fawns grow into to adults using the cameras. Most deer look very similar but some are so distinctive you can name them and watch them over a couple of years. A scar, a white patch that is little wider, and even size helps me identify specific deer.

Me, too. I enjoy the difference in personalities. One of the bucks I shot this year was a 5.5yr old teddy bear. I'd been watching him for years and never saw him get aggressive. Even in the heavy pre-rut when the bucks were fighting, I caught him on camera with a tiny fork horn. He was toying around letting the forky push him around and spar, and he was so gentle about it. Reminded me of wrestling with my boy when he was little. That buck just wasn't even a little bit mean toward anything. I honestly kind of miss him now. As soon as I killed him a big 10pt took over the area and tore up all the scrapes like donkey kong. I won't be as sad popping that punk.

Ski

Don't want any cameras, don't need any cameras (well, except if there are trespasser issues) but to me cameras take away from hunting. Even though I believe cameras educate deer as much they do hunters, cameras also are the sole reason many deer are killed. Many hunters are not good at "hunting" but they are good at using cameras to locate and shoot deer. To me that is not hunting. That is shooting what the camera finds. Especially when the camera sends the pics to a phone or computer.

More importantly, cameras take away from hunting.

To each his own.

Interesting take. I'd like to hear more about why you feel that way, and what experiences you've had that lead to those feelings.

The bold quote is especially confusing to me. It reads as an oxymoron. If the bad hunter who can't find deer uses a camera to find deer, then wouldn't he have to be able to find deer in order to know where to hang the camera?

Safari Hunt

Trails cameras are an aid to hunting and learning game behavior, IMHO. No different than going into the woods and looking for tracks and other sign. As Ski mentioned, one needs to know deer behavior to know where to put the cameras. Just random placement could be wasted time and battery power. I know a writer who teaches classes/seminars on using trail cameras for critters other than deer. He has fantastic shots of bobcats, bear, deer, possum, raccoons, etc.

BSK

When it comes to camera use, I think a clear distinction needs to be made: cameras to aid hunting or cameras to manage/measure the population. As for management, I strongly feel the trail-camera is the most important deer management tool ever invented. I honestly can't image effectively managing a local deer population without the REAL data cameras provide.

On the flip side, cameras for hunting? They have helped me learn more about deer which has made me a more successful hunter in the long run. However, need them? No. Give me an aerial photo, topo map, and a day's scouting on a property and I'll know much of I what I need to know to be successful.

Headhunter

I know of many, many people, who do not go into the woods, fields, etc. to try to kill a deer unless they have a camera(s) out and pictures of deer using the area. Many will not go unless they have pictures of a particular buck or class of bucks they are hunting. Since remote cameras came out (by that I mean cameras that send pictures to you, there is a reason why they are not allowed for bucks killed using remote cameras to be put into P and Y or B and C) have came out, I have been told by people they waited til a buck showed a pattern from the pics sent to their phone and they got in the stand in just enough time before the deer shows up and they kill it. That is not hunting, that is shooting what the camera showed you, when and where. No different than the guys that pay big money to kill a buck that someone else has patterned, and then tell them to get in the stand a few minutes before they kill it. Not hunting, just shooting.

Cameras are not the same as hunting to me, If you do not use cameras, all you have is your knowledge of what you observe to know what a deer is or is not doing.
Cameras not only show you where a deer is using, but when, likely what direction they are coming from, etc. Yes some people are good with cameras, take them away and see what deer they kill or how strong their drive is to hunt. To some extent, they are hunting with cameras, not their own god given abilities to physically see and listen to what is going on.

Even though there is an advantage of knowing what deer are using the area you hunt, that also takes away from the hunting aspect. With cameras, you have a good chance at knowing if there is a bigger deer there, so you pass a smaller buck up. To me, to some extent, that turns hunting into shooting. Without cameras, you go on what you have seen, sign and actual deer. With cameras, the cameras are doing the hunting, so many people base all they do on what they do or do not see on camera. They spend way less time in the woods, cameras take away a huge part of just finding deer and especially a mature deer, where they live, bed, eat, and travel. I love to HUNT, the unknown part of what deer are or are not there is a huge part of hunting to me.

When needed, I believe cameras can help with knowing if an area has deer herd issues as far as population, health, etc.

You will never see me use cameras to create a hit list, name deer, locate deer, pattern deer, or hunt deer, etc. For me it takes most, if not all the hunting experience away.

I love to be out, observing, deer, sign, weather, food, water supply, etc and trying to figure out where I need to be in order to kill the deer I want to kill. Not put cameras out, go look at pics and base my time around that, I know many that do.

And I DO NOT believe I am a better hunter or whatever because of that, bur I do believe using cameras to hunt deer takes away the HUNTING experience. I value every single minute of my hunting time and make the most of it.

BSK

Since remote cameras came out (by that I mean cameras that send pictures to you, there is a reason why they are not allowed for bucks killed using remote cameras to be put into P and Y or B and C) have came out, I have been told by people they waited til a buck showed a pattern from the pics sent to their phone and they got in the stand in just enough time before the deer shows up and they kill it. That is not hunting, that is shooting what the camera showed you, when and where. No different than the guys that pay big money to kill a buck that someone else has patterned, and then tell them to get in the stand a few minutes before they kill it. Not hunting, just shooting.
Not disagreeing with you at all Headhunter. If that is the situation, I agree it's shooting and not hunting.

But I sure want to know where bucks that patternable live. I've looked at far more trail-camera pictures of deer than most hunters and I've never seen a deer that patternable. Now maybe that's because I do most of my trail-camera work in hilly "big woods." Bucks are very difficult to pattern in this situation. You may know the general area a buck is using, but not which ridge he's going to walk down on which day. Hunting in this situation is just a gamble. Pick your stand and play the odds for that hunt. Most of the time you lose and the buck wins.

Now I've heard bucks are far more patternable in agriculture habitat, especially early in bow season.

JN

I love running cameras and enjoy it just as much as hunting. I also enjoy getting pictures other than deer. For example this year I have been tracking a family of bobcat and a fox around the farm. I have switched over to all cell cameras because I do think you run the risk of causing deer to pattern you or avoid the area because of going in to check the cameras frequently. I think cameras also help with tracking of the rut each year I keep track of when the rut hits on the farm and from what I have gathered it typically hits from 11/15-11/20 over about 10 years of tracking this info. I also run cameras mainly on trails near bedding areas and this isn't exactly where I plan on hunting (Due to disturbing the sanctuary) but will usually produce lots of pictures and give me an idea of what is running around. I also view the cameras as more of a hobby then needing it to hunt a deer. I still rely on my instinct, terrain features and how to locate bedding/food sources on where I will hunt. I personally think using an app like onX to mark trails, rubs, bedding areas after season is more beneficial then cameras. This will give you a better idea of where you need to set up for the next season.

Trnr

I hunt 99.9% public land, so I'll throw my hat in the ring. As others have said, I would invest in cheap cameras. Never had a camera stolen, but I've had SD cards stolen and heard of other guys' cameras getting shot. My personal favorite is a Spypoint Force 10 ( I think there's a new model now). I think I gave like $75 for it new.

I use cameras for a few reasons. First it gives me something to do in the off season (haha) and I enjoy watching bucks develop throughout the summer. Where I hunt it seems pretty rare that deer follow the same route in the mornings and the afternoons so I use cameras to determine if an area is a better morning or afternoon location.

The other way I use cameras is to determine where other hunters are. When I put boots on the ground after virtually scouting and I see another hunter's camera its a pretty quick indicator that I need to find a new spot.

I don't know if it makes us better/worse hunters as I rely more on physical sign more than pictures (in my area), but I find it fun.

I always like to reach out to WMA manager/area forester and make sure they're ok with me putting cameras up too.

medwc

Private land do what you want. Public land, I say no cameras and no leaving stands all season. The last two years I have had run ins with guys at LBL that place cameras and permanent stands all over an area. They think they own the spots and will come looking around if they see you out in their AREA. And a FYI... Don't stick your arm out or step out in front of my truck trying to stop me like your are some GW or LBL authority. It won't end well for you. lol, and I knew who was trying to stop me. I just don't need to hear them telling me I was in THEIR area or they got me on THEIR cams. SMH... rant over! lol...

Ski

Never had a camera stolen, but I've had SD cards stolen and heard of other guys' cameras getting shot.

I've had cameras and cards stolen off private land, never on public. Had three cards stolen this season on three different properties. First time it's ever been just a card. They usually take the whole camera. But it happened three times this year. Trespassers & thieves are a bad sort. I'm lucky I've never caught them in the act.

I just started using them seriously last year. And in ALL honesty, they tell me WAY more about where NOT to waste my time than where to hunt.
Also I use them early season for inventory of deer. ESPECIALLY does pre rut. If I've got plenty of does in front of a camera...it's just a matter of time!

DRSJ35

I'd like to see somebody tell me what to do on public land. You or me don't own the land and don't act like it. That's where fights begin. I was told by head wma manager before. If you put a stand in here or camera and somebody takes it or sits in it. You can't do anything about it. One way it's placed on public property it becomes the property of the public. So sounds like a bad idea to start with to me.

huvrman

Cameras allow me to know what's out there, so I stay on my stand longer, hunt harder. As my target bucks get taken either by myself or others, the cameras also allow me to stay encouraged, as I've had a number of new bucks move in within a couple of weeks when the old heads get shot.

BSK

Cameras allow me to know what's out there, so I stay on my stand longer, hunt harder. As my target bucks get taken either by myself or others, the cameras also allow me to stay encouraged, as I've had a number of new bucks move in within a couple of weeks when the old heads get shot.
Another great comment I agree with. Sometimes, buck sightings by hunters fall off, making me think activity has died down. Yet checking cameras finds great activity, just not where anyone was hunting! That gets me back on my stand, hunting longer.

philsanchez76

I just started using them seriously last year. And in ALL honesty, they tell me WAY more about where NOT to waste my time than where to hunt.
Also I use them early season for inventory of deer. ESPECIALLY does pre rut. If I've got plenty of does in front of a camera...it's just a matter of time!
YES!! This is a fantastic point.

I like using cameras because they kind of taught me how to hunt during the off season (goal was to shoot as many deer as possible with pictures rather than arrows). I was a late onset adult hunter and had no one in my life that could show me the ropes and I was hunting all public. Someone from another site gave me the best advice ever: hike/scout around in the off season until you bump a deer. So id go to a new piece of public, start at a field, then find a deer trail off that field and follow it until I bumped something. Then I'd set up a camera around that spot. So I was doing all the real work needed to find the deer, but the camera was telling me what deer were there and how often they were using that spot. I began to understand that deer can change patterns very quickly based on available food and pressure, etc. There have been many times I've bumped a deer, set up a camera and then literally had 2 weeks of raccoon pics. Like 102 said, mostly learning where not to hunt. Cam's have also helped me learn what sign is worth setting up on. Theres been times where I've found a huge scrape, put a cam on it and once again had 2 weeks of raccoon pics (why do raccoons love scrapes???!).

Latest posts