thoughts on camera’s

DRSJ35

Ever hear of the "same time, same place" theory? The thought is that a buck will repeat the same movement pattern year after year, making it possible to predict where & when he'll be in a spot this year because he was there last year, barring an outside force that prevents it. This was my first season giving it a serious try and now I'm 100% sold. Four target bucks in two states with only seven sits in the stand is not an accident or coincidence. My TN velvet buck took 3 sits. My Ohio buck took two sits but same day. My other TN buck took one sit, and my wife's buck took one sit.

I have trail cam history with all four of those bucks & used it to choose where to hang stands and which days & times to hunt them. It was a completely new concept to me, although I'd heard about it for years. I'm used to hunting hard, putting in long seasons, and sometimes without success. Never again. On one hand it feels like cheating. But on the other hand it's an entirely higher level of accomplishment knowing that it's not random chance, but predictable. I am more excited for future hunts than I ever have been before.
Nobody said they didn't make you have the opportunity to kill bucks. The point was would you have killed anything without them. If not then they'll indeed take away your woodsman ability's

Ski

Nobody said they didn't make you have the opportunity to kill bucks. The point was would you have killed anything without them. If not then they'll indeed take away your woodsman ability's

That's akin to thinking cruise control is useful to somebody who doesn't drive. Cameras are useless if you don't know how to hunt. And they're awesome if you do.

How on earth can they possibly take away your woodsman abilities? What does that even mean?

Ski

SHHHH!!!!!!! Don't tell EVERYTHING!

Hahaha I didn't bother to mention all the times it didn't work!!!

It really doesn't work every time, probably less than half. I honestly didn't expect it to work at all, but tried it out of curiosity. To my utter surprise it actually did work. And when it does, it really does.

Smo

8C5077B8-2D01-4D54-84FC-EC85B7A4E0B5.jpeg

The date was wrong on my camera, pic was taken in early November of this year.
Two weeks later....
Less than 250 yards from the place the pic was taken.
4A464DE3-769F-433A-9079-56CDDB43F2B5.jpeg

B77ADC2A-96BC-4626-AA06-4B28BF654929.jpeg

Sometimes a plan comes together, sometimes it don't.

Cameras are a great tool, I run them year around.

6EBE1B89-0F59-4A14-946C-9099B08A4371.png

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER

Private land do what you want. Public land, I say no cameras and no leaving stands all season. The last two years I have had run ins with guys at LBL that place cameras and permanent stands all over an area. They think they own the spots and will come looking around if they see you out in their AREA. And a FYI... Don't stick your arm out or step out in front of my truck trying to stop me like your are some GW or LBL authority. It won't end well for you. lol, and I knew who was trying to stop me. I just don't need to hear them telling me I was in THEIR area or they got me on THEIR cams. SMH... rant over! lol...
same here, it blew my mind at the amount of people coming in from the lake and hunting while we scouted the day before our hunt and hunted during our hunt

DRSJ35

That's akin to thinking cruise control is useful to somebody who doesn't drive. Cameras are useless if you don't know how to hunt. And they're awesome if you do.

How on earth can they possibly take away your woodsman
I'm just asking the question if you'll read the first post. I posted it and it was in the form of a question that I didn't have the answer to since I don't use them and was tossing around the idea of starting.

Attachments

• DF2B7C23-744B-413B-A2B5-C50F0FC4A5A0.png
    DF2B7C23-744B-413B-A2B5-C50F0FC4A5A0.png
    53 KB · Views: 50

DRSJ35

I also say if they give you confidence and help you to stay out longer.we all could use something to do that. At least I could for sure. I stay out regardless but it would definitely help me with morning hunts. Lol

casjoker

I would say cameras definitely reduce the need for woodsmanship as do a lot of other technologies we use. I don't know of too many pieces of technology that take hold in any community that isn't proven to help. Is a crossbow better than a compound bow are both easier than a traditional bow? Is it easier to kill a deer with a rifle vs a muzzleloader? A camera certainly helps pattern deer especially does, what follows does..bucks. Within 4-5 weeks of putting up my cameras, I knew how many deer I had on my property and preferred travel routes. There was no guesswork at all in shooting a doe if I wanted. Another good example, a few years back when hunting in Maine the deer were hammering some apple trees. I put up a trail camera and figured out they were never hitting it during the day. Figured out in 3 days when I could have wasted a week or more of sitting on a spot that would probably never produced. I backed up the ridge about a half-mile and shot a really nice 8pt (who was only on-camera day one) on the evening of the third day after checking the camera in the morning. The camera made me more efficient than my woodsmanship alone would have. Not saying I wouldn't have figured it out on my own but the camera gave me information I would have only speculated about without it.
Even if it didn't help pattern deer just a picture of some deer especially a good one would probably make a poor hunter stick around longer than if they were seeing nothing at all. Which would lead to a higher chance of seeing one to kill.

muddyboots

I'm curious on a recommended camera because seems every camera I buy breaks or never worked. And I swear they all miss pics. Just my humbled opinion though.
My wife has bought 1 reconyx for Xmas every year for 5 years. Just got the 5th one yesterday. Anyway none of them have messed up on their own. I had one get under backwater for 2 weeks the water came up so fast and it still works. Batteries last forever. And honestly I was missing half the deer that come by with cheaper cameras. It was amazing. I don't get any blank pics anymore. They are pricey but they will fix your trail camera problems. If your like me you just have to accumulate them slowly.
To the original question they just help
Me know the size of deer on an area. If none big enough in a certain area it saves me lots of time.

JCDEERMAN

My wife has bought 1 reconyx for Xmas every year for 5 years. Just got the 5th one yesterday. Anyway none of them have messed up on their own. I had one get under backwater for 2 weeks the water came up so fast and it still works. Batteries last forever. And honestly I was missing half the deer that come by with cheaper cameras. It was amazing. I don't get any blank pics anymore. They are pricey but they will fix your trail camera problems. If your like me you just have to accumulate them slowly.
To the original question they just help
Me know the size of deer on an area. If none big enough in a certain area it saves me lots of time.
Reconyx's rock. I have 3 and combined years of those 3 running in are 30+ years. I've sent them each back once for a $45 repair. Love them

Snake

Never run cameras before but last year I ran those cheap ones from Walmart , kinda liked seeing those pics . Only thing I seen a pretty decent 10 point actually a main frame 9 with a kicker probably in the mid 120's range . About a good a buck I've seen on my property. Thing was I basically hunted that only , don't mind not scoring but let a couple decent bucks pass which is good butbit changed the way i hunt . Didn't put them out this year and had a better time hunting didnt kill a buck but it wasn't because I was waiting on one particular buck . I trybti let smaller bucks pass anyway but it was justblikecif it ain't this buck I'm not even considering shouldering my gun or bow. Did run up on acgreat deal of Muddy cams that use Verizon but didn't put them out thought about maybe next year since I got permission to huntvtge property that borders my place . Thought they'd be good to help me learn that property out but thing is cell use in that area is spotty but the cheaper ones should help me out some . I'm really not a fan of cameras but asvibgetbolder I definitely need any advantage I can get .

BSK

I crack up when someone tells me if I ain't getting pictures of deer or of the deer I want to kill, I don't go to that area. Deer can and will go anywhere.
Agreed. I often kill a buck I have hundreds of pictures of in one given area FAR from where he is most frequently photographed. Sometimes I kill him where I've never gotten a picture of him.

Latest posts