thoughts on camera’s

DRSJ35

This is more of a school me thread. I've never used cameras out in the public land I hunt. I don't have access to large tracks of private land. A little private land when owners family isn't hunting it. So question is does cameras make you a better hunter. Or just hang cameras till you find a big buck then find the times and go in and kill it. I know it's not just that simple. But does it take away from the woodsman/ Hunter aspect of hunting. I'm really considering it for next year. What's everyone's honest opinion. And I'm not knocking anyone. Just trying to gain knowledge. As it would be new to my style.

JCDEERMAN

2 points here. 1) For public land, I'd get cheap camera(s). 2) cameras are traditionally not made to help you kill deer, but to help you get a grasp on the caliber of bucks (or deer numbers in general) in the area.

The only time a camera has ever helped me kill a good buck was for the velvet hunt, just due to them being so patternable during that time period. I'd keep up on the woodsmanship, as that is paramount. As long as you don't put the cameras before the learning/adjustments, your headed in the right direction.

Shed Hunter

Between 23 total cameras swapped over anywhere from 70-100 locations on public land from Henderson County TN to Muhlenberg County KY I can shed a little bit of light on what you are wanting to do.

Would I know in confidence where a particular buck is without the cameras? Aside from a personal sighting or finding shed antlers-no. Does that make it easier to go kill just any random big deer? Sure. I had a few patterned pretty well this past year. Can you still be a "good hunter" if you use trail cameras? Well personally I think if I pulled off watching the highest potential deer I have on camera while electing to pass on everything else as I've already killed a deer larger.. that'd be fairly characteristic of a pretty darn good woodsman. I've also been known to set others up on the deer I won't hunt even in the 150" range. IMO, being a good woodsman is nothing more than respecting the animal you are pursuing and it also doesn't hurt to add a little camaraderie in there. Just get out there and enjoy what you are doing however it is you choose to do so as long as it is legal

Shed Hunter

Also for those interested I have never had a trail camera stolen and have photographed plenty of other hunters.

Go to your local hardware store. Buy a length of 3/32 cable you feel appropriate for the tree you intend (I just cut them all about 5-6ft since I throw them on random trees) Then get some 3/32 cable ferrules. Crimp a loop on each end. Grab some luggage locks and I highly doubt your camera will be stolen

BSK

I've been using trail-cameras since before they were commercially available. I bet I've looked at more trail-camera pictures than 99.999% of hunters. Two years ago I analyzed over 385,000 trail-camera pictures in a single season (10-12 hours per day every day for almost 6 months). In all that time have I ever seen a buck so patternable by trail-cameras that you could say he will come by this tree at this time on this date with 100% accuracy? Nope. Never. Not saying it doesn't happen, but I think it's rarer than most non-camera users assume.

Now have trail-cameras made me a more knowledgeable hence better hunter? Oh absolutely! Constantly experimenting with camera locations will teach you worlds about how deer use habitat and terrain. I would say trail-cameras have taught more about how to hunt deer than all the observations I've made in 40+ years of sitting in a tree, times 10!

Lost Lake

I just tried them last year, so I'm new to cameras, but hunted deer since 1984.

One thing they've done is give me confidence that a class of deer I'm after is using the property I hunt. The bucks around me get hammered, and just knowing certain ones have survived keeps my spirits up.

But, I've got a lot to learn about using them.

Bushape

One thing that I have struggled with as a hunter is understanding and acknowledging where I am as a hunter and where I want to be. While I have never killed a true monster a few years ago I found myself season after season passing on bucks in hopes of that once in a lifetime deer getting within range of my rifle. Why? Hadn't I put in the time and money to reward myself with actually harvesting a deer? Filled a few tags with the biggest deer that I had ever killed and now I have moved on to solely bowhunting. Killed an 8 this year which was somewhat comparable to other deer I have killed. No monster, but again I accomplished what I hoped to prove that I could do. Moving forward my next goal is to put myself in position to harvest a mature buck with my bow which will require me to make significant changes to how I do things, including the inclusion of more cameras to see what trophies are even available. Point being, cameras can be beneficial to help hunters set realistic expectations for themselves. A 115" trophy may be the best your land has to offer so why not reward yourself by harvesting it??

Ski

I grew up when cameras weren't a thing. We didn't have cell phones, internet, or trail cams. I've had the experience of hunting and scouting sign, terrain, and sheer gut feeling. And now that I'm running dozens of cameras, I still hunt that way.

Cameras aren't a crutch. They don't substitute anything. They're a tool that if used correctly can enhance/aid the hunt by confirming scouting. Take inventory over salt in the summer or watch a scrape in fall, that kind of stuff. But they can be a double edge sword, too. If you leave a bunch of scent or check too often or even lack an understanding of how & where to put them, they can ruin a spot. They can spook deer and you checking them can spook deer. They aren't the given miracle advertising paints them to be.

That said, I rely on them. Maybe not in the way you'd think, though. I've never been able to pattern a deer with a camera. All I can learn is which deer are making and using sign I scouted. And I know when deer begin showing in daylight, in general, during late pre-rut. In that regard the cameras save me lots of wasted time hunting a deer that when I finally see, is not one I want to take. It also saves me from blowing an area out by hunting it while deer are still largely nocturnal. But above all, I enjoy watching bucks grow up through the years and then pick one or two to hunt because I know they are the dominant, most mature deer in the area. Cams are invaluable in many aspects. Just don't let them cripple you.

Safari Hunt

Also for those interested I have never had a trail camera stolen and have photographed plenty of other hunters.

Go to your local hardware store. Buy a length of 3/32 cable you feel appropriate for the tree you intend (I just cut them all about 5-6ft since I throw them on random trees) Then get some 3/32 cable ferrules. Crimp a loop on each end. Grab some luggage locks and I highly doubt your camera will be stolen
Interesting. You are lucky. Always heard that locks are for honest people. Would like to have a camera or two but shy about theft.

chewymalone

I personally can't stand cameras! Other than surveying a new property to see what caliber of bucks are there, I have no use for them. I have seen hunters get completely obsessed with them, checking them so often that the cameras become detrimental from a scent and deer education standpoint. If you know your hunting ground's bedding areas, food sources, travel patterns, etc... and you know there are big deer, I encourage you to forego the cameras and just hunt. I've made the mistake of hunting a huge deer due to a trail camera pic... ended up passing many great bucks and frustrated!

Madbowh

I let the deer sign and my knowledge and experience in the woods with big bucks tell me where to hang my cameras and normally find a couple nice ones on at least one of my cameras. Once I find one I'll go after I try to find his route and concentrate my cameras in that area and find his bedroom they will be in daylight closer to their bed and come out midday, I think about/within 100yds. I won't hesitate to put cameras on public land s long as i will be back within 2 weeks I've never had a issue. But I do put cheaper ones on public land tractor supply always had 2 for$100 stealth cam

redarm

I'm curious on a recommended camera because seems every camera I buy breaks or never worked. And I swear they all miss pics. Just my humbled opinion though.

Ski

I'm curious on a recommended camera because seems every camera I buy breaks or never worked. And I swear they all miss pics. Just my humbled opinion though.

I like Moultrie. I've had a couple go bad but generally they are rock solid dependable. As for missing pics, it could be several things. There are things to look for in a camera before buying, and things to know when setting them up. It's not complicated but it does entail more than taking out of the box & expecting it to perform. I like less than half second trigger speed, good recovery speed, and a flash that extends at least as far or farther than the detection range. I also set mine to the lowest sensitivity so I'm not dealing with a bunch of false triggers.

By no means am I a camera expert but those are things that I've found make a difference. I've got zero experience with cell cams so I can't comment on them. The standard cams are already complicated enough for me.

PickettSFHunter

Depends on how you use them as well. Plenty of "hunters" in my area are using
Cell cams to where they place the cam over bait behind the house. When the big one shows up, you get out of your recliner, turn the night vision on, and fire away. That certainly takes away from the hunt. Plenty of people are doing this and taking a lot of the top end bucks in that manner. For me, cell cams have made it super easy to shoot hogs, but not so much with legally hunting deer.

DoubleRidge

Do cameras make you a better hunter?...to the point where woodsman skills are not needed? No....is the information you gain from cameras a benefit? To me...yes.

The biggest benefit I've had from running multiple cameras on a property is confidence.....knowing that a buck (or bucks) are in the general area your hunting gives me the confidence too hunt harder and too sit for longer periods of time.....for me the number of all day sits increased dramatically after I started running cameras.....I'm also more patient and willing to let certain bucks walk knowing that there are better bucks in the area.

So in my experience.... increased confidence and patience has been the benefit gained from running cameras.

Plus I just enjoy running cameras and I really enjoy the anticipation of seeing what's on camera.

Last edited:

Jmed

Cameras save me a ton of time and Money. I would say they they are the most useful tool me and my crew uses to kill bucks.

JCDEERMAN

Do cameras make you a better hunter?...to the point where woodsman skills are not needed? No....is the information you gain from cameras a benefit? To me...yes.

The biggest benefit I've had from running multiple cameras on a property is confidence.....knowing that a buck (or bucks) are in the general area your hunting gives me the confidence too hunt harder and too sit for longer periods of time.....for me the number of all day sits increased dramatically after I started running cameras.....I'm also more patient and willing to let certain bucks walk knowing that there are better bucks in the area.

So in my experience.... increased confidence and patience has been the benefit gained from running cameras.

Plus I just enjoy running cameras and I really enjoy the anticipation of seeing what's on camera.
Agreed. I am able to see what bucks are using particular parts of the property and which ones they aren't. Knowing what caliber of bucks that are in the area can really save some of those bucks you are on the fence about. I have killed some bucks just by barely being able to identify which ones they were by getting a glimpse of an antler characteristic. Likewise, I have been able to pass on bucks by seeing those small antler characteristics where I can identify and had pre-determined not to shoot that deer based on knowing his age from pictures.

megalomaniac

I have no interest in shooting a buck that isn't at least 4.5... I use cameras to identify general areas and confirm there is a shooter in the vicinity before I will even hunt an area. I'm blessed to have multiple places to hunt, and there just isn't any need wasting my time on a farm that doesn't have a shooter around.

I also use cameras to identify the top end bucks per age class so I don't accidentally shoot them when I encounter them in a hunting situation.

However, I only hunt actual camera sites rarely. Just the general area around the camera, usually 200-250 yards away.

All four of the mature bucks I killed last year I knew were in the general area and I was specifically hunting those particular bucks because of trail camera pictures. The closest one I killed to a camera was 250 yards, the others were 700-800 yards away from where I captured them on cameras.

Cellular cameras are great for hunting transition areas near bedding areas to avoid intruding/ invading the areas. When a new buck that is a shooter shows up in this particular location, we go in and hunt it that same day. I killed a 5.5 yo last year doing that, and this year we killed a 4.5 y/o we hadn't captured on camera for 6 weeks prior on the same day he showed up at this particular location. If there isn't a shooter on this particular community scrape in the past day or two, we don't even hunt this specific area.

BSK

Great comments DoubleRidge. One of the hunting benefits of cameras is confidence to get back out there. Sometimes, what a hunter sees while hunting gives him or her a false impression. A couple of days in a row seeing nothing from the stand often makes a hunter feel like daylight deer activity has shut down, or all the deer have left the area. That can influence a hunter to pack it in for awhile. But hot action caught on camera where the hunter wasn't hunting makes the hunter realize it was just a coincidence of several wrong stand choices in a row. Those hot action pictures can produce the confidence to get back out there and not give up.

Latest posts