Thoughts on affects of cooler to near freezing temps ?

BrokenArrow

So how do you veteran hunters feel the cooler than usual temps here in the midsouth will affect the hunt as well as the hatch?
Thoughts ...opinions?

BrokenArrow

Normally no real impact, birds usually talk well on crisp morning and in this area eggs are from being at risk. However, this morning they were dang tight lipped for me.
So you feel the near freezing temps tonight won't be problem with any eggs in the nest?
You think hens will stay on the nest all night?
Curious to hear your take on it.

JCDEERMAN

All good. They are very well adapted unless there is a fairly historical event. We as humans don't realize how tough those boogers are.

I didn't go out this morning, but had one hammering across the road from us. Every sound I made, he hammered. Didn't hear anything before 9am though.

Setterman

So you feel the near freezing temps tonight won't be problem with any eggs in the nest?
As long the hens aren't incubating they'll be fine. If the hens are incubating then they should also be fine as she will be sitting on them

megalomaniac

For eggs to go bad they have to get frozen completely solid and then frozen solid contents have to expand and crack the shell... gonna take 8 hours in the mid 20s to do that.

And if that happens, hen will just start over with a new clutch, no big deal.