Thinking about switching to a 20ga

Hey yall, im considering buying a Franchi Affinity 3 Turkey 20 gauge, and was wondering if the weight difference would be noticeable versus my 12 gauge. Im currently using a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. Google shows that the 835 weighs 7.5 lbs., plus I have a scope on it that adds some weight. The Franchi shows a weight of 6.7 lbs., and I'd likely just throw a red dot on that. I assume the 20 gauge shells would be a small weight reduction over the 12 gauge shells, but I'm just having a hard time believing that 1-1.5 lbs. would be a very noticeable difference. What's yalls experience?

TN Larry

I can't speak for the guns above in terms of weight, but I went from a 26" barrel 870 12 gauge shooting 3.5" lead to a 21" barrel 870 20 gauge shooting 3" TSS, and the weight and packability is unreal. I guess it depends on the terrain that you are hunting in as well, but the 20 ga is much easier to carry around in a hill and hollow, run and gun approach. It also has a lot less recoil without giving up anything on the pattern when shooting #9 TSS shot.

If you are just going to park and walk somewhere across a field to sit in a blind, then the weight difference is probably not noticeable. However, if you are covering ground especially in hills and hollows, it makes a big difference. The shorter barrel from 26" to 21" made a huge difference for me as well as it doesn't get caught on as many limbs and small saplings while moving on a bird.

There are several threads on here now discussing the 20 vs 12. I have shot a 20ga since 2017 with no plans of every going back to a 12ga. Some say it is a fad which is probably so for some, but the points above is what makes it for me.

deerhunter10

I switched from an a5 to a benelli montefeltro 20. Weight not that noticeable. But I just wanted an excuse to buy another gun. From my old 835 to my 20 gauge is a noticeable difference and as said above it's way more pleasant to shoot. I sold 835 after a bloody nose. Screw those guns.

Southern Sportsman

I can't speak for the guns above in terms of weight, but I went from a 26" barrel 870 12 gauge shooting 3.5" lead to a 21" barrel 870 20 gauge shooting 3" TSS, and the weight and packability is unreal. I guess it depends on the terrain that you are hunting in as well, but the 20 ga is much easier to carry around in a hill and hollow, run and gun approach. It also has a lot less recoil without giving up anything on the pattern when shooting #9 TSS shot.

If you are just going to park and walk somewhere across a field to sit in a blind, then the weight difference is probably not noticeable. However, if you are covering ground especially in hills and hollows, it makes a big difference. The shorter barrel from 26" to 21" made a huge difference for me as well as it doesn't get caught on as many limbs and small saplings while moving on a bird.

There are several threads on here now discussing the 20 vs 12. I have shot a 20ga since 2017 with no plans of every going back to a 12ga. Some say it is a fad which is probably so for some, but the points above is what makes it for me.
^^What he said.

TNhunter

Hey yall, im considering buying a Franchi Affinity 3 Turkey 20 gauge, and was wondering if the weight difference would be noticeable versus my 12 gauge. Im currently using a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. Google shows that the 835 weighs 7.5 lbs., plus I have a scope on it that adds some weight. The Franchi shows a weight of 6.7 lbs., and I'd likely just throw a red dot on that. I assume the 20 gauge shells would be a small weight reduction over the 12 gauge shells, but I'm just having a hard time believing that 1-1.5 lbs. would be a very noticeable difference. What's yalls experience?
Do it as fast as you can.

Latest posts