The Wildlife Group

PcDeer

Has anyone on here ever purchased trees from the Wildlife Group down in Alabama? I'm looking at buying a mix of fruit trees and probably some chinkapin and some sawtooth oaks. Was wondering if their as good as advertised.

treefarmer

They have a good reputation. Studies have shown trees from a more Southern nursery may forever bloom earlier than TN trees which makes them susceptible to frost. McMinnville or the TN Div. of Forestry nursery seedlings are a safer bet, if they have what you want. If you are planting them in Southern TN you are probably ok if their AL nursery is in more northern AL.

PcDeer

Thanks guys! I've looked at the Warren Co nursery since it was suggested. I think I will get my apple, pear, and maybe some saw tooth oaks from them. I'm wanting to try the Japanese Persimmon that the Wild Life Group has but didn't see on Warren Co's catalog so I may order a few of those from Alabama. Thanks for the advice guys, I'd rather keep my business in state and it just makes better sense to plant trees started in Tennessee.

Hunter 257W

I planted a fruit tree package and about 100 oaks from the Wildlife Group back in Jan 2011. Have had great success with their trees and growing products(tubes, stakes, fertilize, moisture mizer).

walleye

You may want to reconsider the Japanese persimmons if you are planting for wildlife. I have planted about 15 fuyu's and tompoans. The fruit does not drop from the tree they must be harvested with a hand trimmer as their stem is very stout. on a positive note the fruit is delightful. They tend to be fully ripe in MId December.

Having grown many different mast trees- Chestnuts, apples, pear and Persimmons- I would encourage Kieffer pears, Relatively cheap, grow fast, late harvest, maintenance free, quite hardy.

walleye

if you are looking for good local trees Check with Rockbridge nursery in Gallatin. He usually has an ad in craigslist. I bought a bunch of dunstans Chestnuts at a fair price.

I have bought several trees from the wildlife group no complaints. The only suggestion i would make is make sure what time of year you will be hunting andLL pick trees that drop during that time.When i first started planting trees i planted a lot of sawtooth oaks they grow fast and started produceing in about seven years the drawback is they drop around the last of sept. an the first of oct. So unless your a early season bowhunter their useless.For me pears are the best with different varities they drop from sept thur dec.Get their catalog an it will tell you the drop dates. Long term nothing beats a white oak.

PcDeer

Thanks for all the posts guys! I put out the last of my trees this past weekend. I ordered a variety of apple, pear, and crab apple trees, 25 in all. I put tree tubes on each of them and will put a wire cage around each of them as I get time throughout the spring. There in a place that I will be able to keep them watered throughout the summer as soon as I find and purchase a water tank. I hope they all green out come spring time. I've got room to put in another 15-20 more next year without overcrowding.

Latest posts