The switch has flipped

megalomaniac

I'd keep hunting till the law tells you that you can't no more.
I used to do this... and found I was actually decreasing my chances of killing older deer. I'd hunt nearly every day, pushed the bucks off my farms and forced them to become completely nocturnal and unkillable. I kill way more mature deer now by hunting smarter. Leaving them alone until the time/ conditions are right so they actually move in daylight. My farms will go unhunted until Dec 17th.

redblood

The next 10 days will see more fully mature bucks fall than the previous. Bucks back on scrapes are a good thing in my eyes. With this cool westher, no need for it to be daylight only. Got a gnarly old buck at 7 am on a wooded scrape line yesterday morn.

redblood

Wish he was closer to cam

Attachments

• IMG_7926.png
    IMG_7926.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 8

megalomaniac

Actually got a pic an hour ago at 1130am of our 4.5 yo 10pt blind buck. But that cam is right next to his thick sanctuary and he was just out grabbing a quick bite before bedding back down, not working scrapes.

Never seen this much weight loss from 4.5y/os through 1st rut. Our 4.5yos now look like 3.5yos. They are HUNGRY.

UTGrad

I used to do this... and found I was actually decreasing my chances of killing older deer. I'd hunt nearly every day, pushed the bucks off my farms and forced them to become completely nocturnal and unkillable. I kill way more mature deer now by hunting smarter. Leaving them alone until the time/ conditions are right so they actually move in daylight. My farms will go unhunted until Dec 17th.

The point I was trying to make was not how often one should hunt, but don't give up cause some folks are saying the rut is over. It's either just getting started in some areas or there is always a chance a doe gets hot late.

Outdoor Enthusiast

Actually got a pic an hour ago at 1130am of our 4.5 yo 10pt blind buck. But that cam is right next to his thick sanctuary and he was just out grabbing a quick bite before bedding back down, not working scrapes.

Never seen this much weight loss from 4.5y/os through 1st rut. Our 4.5yos now look like 3.5yos. They are HUNGRY.
Interesting. With the overabundance of acorns on the ground, one would think that they have ample food to recover.

I am curious to see if the second rut has some of the same intensity as the first as the bucks get fueled back up with the acorn crop.

BSK

It's good to know someone else's deer are on the exact same pattern as mine. I need to do the same thing I'm grinding myself into more and more frustration….Oh and these "scientist" that say the moon doesn't affect deer movement can kiss my @$$.
The moon doesn't affect deer movement. ;)

BSK

Yes and no. Bsk can answer better then me. But for us yes, but it's a smaller portion of the Scrapes being used. Community Scrapes are what we see being worked all the way through, where the main rut several Scrapes are getting worked it's not as many. And it's a small window. For us December 12-15 seem to be our magical days historically of course communities Scrapes get used pretty much year round just the ground is not getting pawed. It will be interesting this year our rut was as intense as its been in probably 10 years or better. Nice to see as for us the last 2 or 3 were the worst we ever experienced especially last year.
What Deerhunter10 said, but we see this surge Nov. 28-Dec. 5. It is almost exclusively community scrapes and almost exclusively the oldest bucks on the property. It seems it's almost a "last hurrah" for the mature bucks on my place, as after this surge peaking around Dec. 2, the mature bucks vanish, not to be seen until the next year.

BSK

Dreading deer season 2024... with the late Thanksgiving, rut will almost be done by opening of gun.
I HATE the years when Nov. 1 is on Friday or Saturday. That makes Thanksgiving fall a week later and means MZ season doesn't open until Nov. 8 or 9. Our peak number of older bucks and peak movement year after year is Nov. 1-4. We'll miss that completely next year. However, we traditionally see two peaks of chasing: Nov. 9-11 and Nov. 17-20. I suspect peak breeding falls in between - somewhere around Nov. 10-20. We will at least catch both of those peaks during MZ season next year, but it will be past peak by gun opener.

I wish MZ season opened Nov. 1 and ran until gun opener.

megalomaniac

Interesting. With the overabundance of acorns on the ground, one would think that they have ample food to recover.

I am curious to see if the second rut has some of the same intensity as the first as the bucks get fueled back up with the acorn crop.
The old bucks literally haven't eaten in 3 weeks. That's normal. But our entire deer density is up, so there are more does to chase/ tend/ breed. I think that is what is running them into the ground. Higher caloric expenditure this year for whatever reason (again, the only thing I can think of is more does, especially 1.5yo does who bred for the first time this year). But yes, there are still plenty of red oaks on the ground, and they are pigging out now that the breeding is taking a back seat.

Latest posts