The search for an ultralight rig.

416wbymag

So after a depressing trip to Gander Mtn last night. I am in a quandary about replacing my stolen rig...

The cheapest rod I found that was decent was $100 and the reels are in the $55-$159 range

I am looking for a 6ft ish ultralight rig for trout on the Clinch with a long spool reel, preferably with a rear drag... I normally use 6lb line...

I don't want to go cheap and don't mind paying for quality.

Anyone have any suggestions?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Are you going with a spinning reel?
Don't know if I have ever seen one with rear drag, but then again not sure.

I "upgraded" my ultralight gear this year.
I didn't have the money to go too good on both rod and reel so I actually got a medium action 7' rod from walmart.
It is a Shakespeare and I really like it. It was only about $30.

For the reels, I went with a Pflueger Trion on all three of my rigs and absolutely LOVE them.

416wbymag

I will take another look at Walmart

here is my old shimano (rear drag), I might have to order one over the web.

A0RT_1_20111116_12345957.jpg

Dbllunger

I just purchased a Abu Revo spinning rig a few months ago and have been very pleased. Best spinning reel I have ever owned and at $129 not necessarily cheap but well worth the money. I have it mounted on an old ultralight rod (can't remember the brand) and it is great on crappie and white bass. Here is a link to the reel if your interested.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Abu_Garc ... e-ASS.html

SilverFox

I'm not much for a rear drag but... If you look at others, check out the Abu Orra reels. I use a couple of the 20 series reels and they are awesome. I have more expensive reels but at around $60-$70 dollars, they are awesome. They have a really nice top drag system. I use them for anything between 4 and 8 pound test according to season. I've caught several 20 inch and better smallmouth on them with 6 and 8 pound test and wire hooks.

Rod wise... Have one on a 7' medium Abu Veritas. The other is on a 6'6 medium heavy Veritas. They are light weight rods and so far so good. Both will throw a fluke Jr with 6 pound line nicely but the 7' is better. I've also thrown it on 8 pound with decent results. It's a light lure since it's weightless other than the Trokar hook and the weight of the fluke.

I will say that Berkley makes a Lightning Rod Shock that's brass colored that is a really nice rod for about $50. I have one I bought for the wife to throw with braided line. Even if you don't use the braid it's a really nice cheap rod.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
416wbymag said:
I will take another look at Walmart

here is my old shimano (rear drag), I might have to order one over the web.

A0RT_1_20111116_12345957.jpg

TT is right, I really am an idiot.
I have two rear drag spinning reels.
Getting old is rough I tell ya. :eek:

Winchester

416wbymag said:
SilverFox said:
I'm not much for a rear drag but...

Mind if I ask your thoughts for that?
Im not a fan of rear drag spinning reels as in most cases the top drag is smoother and more reliable. That said I haven't tried them all either! A great lil spinning reel for the money is a Pflueger President.

jb3

Good luck on finding something. I'd die if I didn't have either my browning or all-star tenn handle spinning rods.

Cottontop

I have an Okuma Celio ultralight trout rod I bought off Amazon for arounf thirty dollars. Actually I have three of them and I absolutely love them. I have pfluger presidents on them.

shorefisherman

i konw your looking for a 6 ft rod, but heres my ultra light 4' 6" g-loomis SR541 rod w shimano 500 reel, the rod is unbelievebly light and super sensitive. perfect for trout and panfish. i fish with it on the caney all the time on certain seasons....super fun.
i would stay away from rear drag reels, they are junk by design

securedownload110_zpsfeef4711.jpg

Model70Man

I use a light to a medium 5'6" thru 7' rods on the Clinch for trout now. I lost some of the biggest trout of my life using ultralight rods and reels out there that were well over the 10 lb range. However, for most of the trout caught in the 14-18 inch range, the ultralight would be perfect. I have a 5'6" St. Croix ultralight with an Okuma Stinson 20. The drag is the smoothest I've found at the $30 price range. My go to rod is a 6' St. Croix Avid medium light for the bigger trout. I can cast about 20 ft further with this rod compared to the ultralight.

fishboy1

I have become a fan of the Okuma reels. Used to be a die hard Shimano fan but they became too expensive and started substituting cheaper corrosion prone parts in the under $100 models. Fished a LOT of saltwater with ultra light 6lb tackle.

The Okuma drags are great. Smoother than the shimano. Shimano drags get sticky spots in them easily and quickly if you dont back the drags off for storing them. The Okumas will too but not as bad and not as quickly.

Okuma Reels are geared smooth but they are a tiny bit less well balanced than the shimano. You only notice it when using feather light rods and have a big fish on light line.

The better Shimanos seem to be manufactured to slightly tighter tolerances which might be what accounts for the smoothness, but they gum up faster than the slightly sloppier Okuma. The middle of the road salt water series of reels hold up better than all but the top of the line Shimanos.

I have had nothing but problems with rear drag spinning reels. They gum up easily and become sticky. Sticky drag=lost fish, especially big fish on light line. The gears also gum up easier than almost any other reel.

(Note...90% of my experience is fishing salt water so your results might be different in fresh water. I rinse my reels after every fishing trip and back the drags off to zero for storage)

Crosshairy

I second Winchester's recommendation of the Pflueger President. I have one on my ultralight and like it a lot.

Consider Berkley Nanofil line if you want farther casting ability.

JimFromTN

I love Pflueger Supremes. If you keep your eye on ebay, you can get really good deals on them. As for ultra light rods, thats a personal thing. Some people like a fast tip and some like them soft. When I am throwing a light spinner, I don't want a mushy bend in the rod. I like to be able to feel the spinner spin but at the same time, I don't want it too stiff. Finding that perfect ultra light has always been a quest for me. My last purchase was a bps bionic blade ultra light. It felt good when I picked it up but once I got it out on the water and used it, I was not impressed. I am thinking about trying the 5 1/2 foot bps extreme light wieght rod. Maybe that one will be better.

416wbymag

Well I ended up with a Bass Pro 6ft MicroLight Ultralight Rod with a Quantum QVex 10 reel with 6lb flourocarbon on it.

Now I just need some spare time.... and the Clinch to stop generating.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Latest posts