The NWR turkey hunts

SKFOOTER

It now appears that my 4 day hunt at Chickasaw NWR beginning next Thursday, April 12th will be flooded out, thanks to the Big Muddy. Projected crest stage at Caruthersville by the 11th is 33 ft. and will remain close to that level for several days. Just my luck.

UpperTully

SK, even if it was open and the river was at 30ish foot on Cauruthersville, those bottoms would be so full of water that it wouldn't be much of a hunt unless you carry a boat and knew exactly where to go.

Andy S.

I believe it. If you have a boat, know where the ridges/high spots are, and don't mind a little work, the hunting ought to be good. The back water has them "pushed up", so if you get on same ridge as them and don't spook them, killing one shouldn't be all that difficult, assuming there are male birds in the area.

Andy S.

First hunt kills per TWRA website:

Reelfoot, both units: 3 day hunt, 30 drawn, 1 adult bird checked in (mimics my experience to a tee)
Lower Hatchie: 4 day hunt, 25 drawn, 3 adult birds checked in
Chickasaw: 4 day hunt, 75 drawn, 8 adult birds checked in

UpperTully

SKFOOTER":mpvpur8a said:
I see there were 2 birds checked in from Chickasaw NWR today if you can rely on that being accurate?

It's accurate, I know the 2 guys that killed those 2 birds on the 5th.

UpperTully

Made the drive for my draw hunt this morning. I made it to Camp Slough before water was to the doors on my F150. There's not much dry land to hunt if you can get to it. Heard a few gobble though.

Doubtful I'll go back. I've already killed 2, so I'm not that mad at them enough to deal with all of that water.

UpperTully

I decided late last night that I'd go back, I went to bed with a migraine and still had it at 4am. Needless to say, I rolled back over.

UpperTully

Here's what it looked like coming in yesterday morning.

Attachments

• IMG_8461.jpg
    IMG_8461.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 1,150

UpperTully

Went back this morning and got on a group of long beards that had a bunch of hens with them. I'm sure I'd punch a tag if I stuck with them through the middle of the day but had to be at work this afternoon.