The Flintlock Rifles of Kentucky’s Hershel House

sun

Rancocas

Yes. They do some beautiful work. REAL muzzleloaders.
You want to see some REAL muzzleloaders - the annual Contemporary Longrifle Association Show is coming up on August 12, 13, and 14. In Lexington, Kentucky.
It's what muzzleloading is really all about.

Chiflyguy

I wish someone still made a .32 caliber.
I'd love to hunt some tree rats with one.

Chiflyguy

Wobblyshot1

I wish someone still made a .32 caliber.
I'd love to hunt some tree rats with one.
I've built one or two. Shot this one this weekend. I'm shooting 1 1/2 buckshot and a thick pocket drill patch. I could see this being a chicken of the tree's worst nightmare.

Attachments

• 20190803_104400.jpg
    20190803_104400.jpg
    608.3 KB · Views: 84

Chiflyguy

I've built one or two. Shot this one this weekend. I'm shooting 1 1/2 buckshot and a thick pocket drill patch. I could see this being a chicken of the tree's worst nightmare.
Holy cow.😳
That's talent.
I might have to try and build one.
That stocks a beauty.

Rancocas

You can buy top quality kits from Track of The Wolf, Dixie Gunworks, Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading, Jim Chambers, Jim Kibler, and others. Of course, you can buy a finished rifle from any of these places, too. They have websites. Look them up. These are top quality and not cheap.
Pecatonica Longrifle Supply doesn't sell "kits", but they do sell all the necessary components.
I have built four longrifles myself; one flintlock and three caplocks. I'm considering getting the parts from Pecatonica to build another flintlock, but right now I just don't have the time.
Then, there are plenty of custom builders, such as Hershel House, Mike Miller, Clay Smith, and Lowell Hearer who will make a beautiful rifle for you. But, you can expect to pay $2000. - $5000. for one of their historically accurate firearms.
Then, there are the artisans who specialize in muzzleloading accoutrements. Shot bags (sometimes called a "possibles bag", although I personally dislike that term)(I made my own bag), powder horns (I have a beautiful "southern banded powder horn" made by custom horn maker Ron Hess of Georgia. However, I also have several powder horns that I made myself), custom knives, colonial clothing, etcetera.
There is a whole world of traditional muzzleloading out there. Go and find it.
For over 25 years I have done all my hunting solely with traditional muzzleloaders. I mainly use a .50 percussion longrifle that I made myself for big game, or a .62 flintlock smoothbore fowler made by Caywood of Arkansas. I bought the fowler "in-the-white" and finished it myself.
I admit that I am a muzzleloading snob. I absolutely despise those abominable in-line things!

Last edited:

Wobblyshot1

Smo, they have done a complete remodel of the convention center and it no longer looks like your first photo. I believe it's all on street level now and one big room. Myself and my bride will be there for the duration.

Smo

Wow!
I'm not sure the last time I was over there. 2014 -15 maybe…

There was the large exhibit room and 3 or 4 other smaller rooms all on the second floor.
Not including the vendors set up in the main walk ways..

Smo

Here's a short you tube video with the man himself..
Hershel like many of us has aged a bit since the video was shot. It from my understanding, He's still hard at it!
Although I think he's making more knifes & hawks now than guns…

Last edited:

Latest posts