The transformation of Stubby

CharlieTN

I found this old CVA Wolf at a yard sale last summer and snatched it for the price. It has a Nikon 4x scope on it so I figured that alone was worth about what I paid for the whole gun. I was still loaded and hadn't been cleaned in a bit so it had some rust in the barrel but the breech plug came out easily so I took a gamble. She cleaned up nicely and will shoot a 1 1/2" group at 100 yards with Hornady 240 XTP's and 95 gr of Pyrodex RS.

Stubby has been through an interesting life. A previous owner had messed up the end of the barrel trying to do their own quick load counterbore so a gunsmith cut 2" off of the barrel and counterbored it correctly. That same owner had camoflauged the gun. A secondary owner had decided to spray paint the whole gun black.

Well, keeping in the tradition, I wanted to camoflauge her once again. So we went from this:

IMG_7809.jpeg

To this:

IMG_1607.jpeg

Base coat of Rustoleum primer gray followed by a series of stripes of a mixture of Rustoleum and krylon camo paints, tan, brown, and Olive. Then I came back with those same colors and sponged on some spots all over to help break it up more. The key, and this is the most important part to get it to last, is to come back with the clear matt overcoat and give it a couple of good coats. Do that and it will hold up quite well.

IMG_1605.jpeg
IMG_1604.jpeg

CharlieTN

Thanks for showing and sharing the process…I may do the same on one of my guns that needs a little touch up.
The biggest thing is to clean the gun real good to get all of the oil and grease off first. Tape off everything you don't want paint in including the muzzle and finally use the clear matte overcoat.

Latest posts