The charcoal project

fishboy1

A buddy of mine has been obsessing with making his own charcoal.
The more he talked about it, the more interested I have become.

Basically you create a gas retort out of 2 barrels and a piece of stove pipe as a chimney.

Pack the smaller barrel with wood chunks and place inside the bigger barrel with the open end down. Pack the bigger barrel with twigs and kindling. Start the fire and put on the "top hat" with the chimney once the fire is going. The heat from the outer barrel gasifies the impurities in the wood chunks which burns off leaving you with charcoal.

I want to build a gas retort. Anybody in middle TN have a 55 gal barrel or piece of stove pipe they dont want?

I will update this post with progress photos as I go.

Hogbear

Lots of blacksmiths use charcoal forges and make theirs using one 55 gal drum on its side with a bung hole in the lid. You thread a pipe in the bung hole and run it down underneath the drum. You fill the barrel with wood and put the lid on and then light a fire under the barrel. Once the wood inside gets hot, the gasses come out the pipe and keep the fire going. When there's no more flamable gas coming out of the pipe, you should have charcoal inside.

http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHI ... ARCOAL.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... -Charcoal/

fishboy1

Neat links Thanks.

I am planning on building a 55 gallon drum retort.
It consists of a smaller (30 gallon) barrel filled with wood, placed inside the 55 gal drum.
Kindling is packed around the smaller barrel and set ablaze.
Once the kindling is going you put the lid on the 55 gal drum and put the chimney stack over the hole you have cut in the lid.

Now I just need the materials to build it.

fishboy1

jssblues said:
why not just use wood if you have access to it rather than go through the trouble

Don't go injecting logic into a perfectly good "man cave" project! :D

Then I would have to spend my time digging fence post holes.

FULLDRAWXX75

Hogbear said:
Lots of blacksmiths use charcoal forges and make theirs using one 55 gal drum on its side with a bung hole in the lid. You thread a pipe in the bung hole and run it down underneath the drum. You fill the barrel with wood and put the lid on and then light a fire under the barrel. Once the wood inside gets hot, the gasses come out the pipe and keep the fire going. When there's no more flamable gas coming out of the pipe, you should have charcoal inside.

http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMITHI ... ARCOAL.htm

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... -Charcoal/

Kinda adds a new twist to the other thread.......Charcoal or Gas?

LOL

Gas cooked charcoal.

FDXX75

farmin68

fishboy1 said:
A buddy of mine has been obsessing with making his own charcoal.
The more he talked about it, the more interested I have become.

Basically you create a gas retort out of 2 barrels and a piece of stove pipe as a chimney.

Pack the smaller barrel with wood chunks and place inside the bigger barrel with the open end down. Pack the bigger barrel with twigs and kindling. Start the fire and put on the "top hat" with the chimney once the fire is going. The heat from the outer barrel gasifies the impurities in the wood chunks which burns off leaving you with charcoal.

I want to build a gas retort. Anybody in middle TN have a 55 gal barrel or piece of stove pipe they dont want?

I will update this post with progress photos as I go.

This thread is worthless without pics and video!

fishboy1

I am working on finding materials.

Don't want to drive 2 hours to buy an $8 drum.
One requirement of the project is to build the thing with minimal expense.

fishboy1

Had to pull a water heater out of a house yesterday so Now I have half the parts I need to make the charcoal retort.

Ill pick up a 55 gallon drum soon and then we will be off and running!

fishboy1

Still looking for a 55 gallon drum. Been too busy to make it a priority but need to get on it soon.

I can get a couple of them in Westmoreland but I don't want to drive 1.5hrs each way for a $10 burn barrel.

fishboy1

Woo hooo! Got a 55 gallon drum today.
Cut the lid for the chimney stack and hacked a bunch of air holes around the bottom.

Want to run a test fire tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
Ill post photos/video and instructions on my blog once I get it to work right. :D

fishboy1

Big fun today! Filming another episode "home made natural lump charcoal and brick chicken with roasted veggies"

Going to try and link to some production photos on facebook. Hope it works!
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 8949064573

Should have some clips edited and loaded to Youtube in a couple days.

I gotta develop some will power. I gain 5lbs every time we film a show. Had Boudin Bacon weave for breakfast along with a secret special coffee drink recipe we have in development for a contest. Yesterday it was veal picatta and chocolate burbon mousse for dinner. :D

Latest posts