That ain't no crappie

Crow Terminator

Was out pulling crankbaits today. Crappie were engulfing them too. Was trolling in 25 foot of water and one of my rods jerked and bent double. I had a time getting this thing in and nearly didn't get it in my net. My scales max at 25 lbs and it blanked them out. Guessing about 30-35.
20230722_201148.jpg
20230722_184126.jpg

Look at how far down these crappie were eating those crankbaits.

Crow Terminator

Nice fish. Never heard of crappies on crank baits. My crappie rods wouldnt handle a crank bait that size
Trolling crankbaits is something I've always done. Not necessarily targeting crappie...but when it got hot and fishing gets tough, we would always troll to just try to find something that would bite. You catch everything on crankbaits while trolling. It wasn't until around the early 2000 to 2001ish when I discovered Kent Driscoll that I started applying a lot of his crankbait pulling techniques, tips, and tricks for crappie. I think it was Tim Huffman that did a whole book on crankbait pulling for crappie and Kent had a major role in it. I'm not as complex as how they do it...I do 3 rods max...most of the time only 2. Those are enough to keep me on my toes.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I've never seen the Crappie as aggressive as they've been the past few days . Friday evening we were catching them 2 at a time just as fast as we could get them off the hook. One of the best days of fishing I've ever had.

Spurhunter

I'm not as complex as how they do it...I do 3 rods max...most of the time only 2. Those are enough to keep me on my toes.
I had a home made rod rack that went across the back deck of my old boat that was perfect height for the guy (usually my son when he was young) in the back seat. It had 4 adjustable rod holders. I ran 2 rods straight out the sides and the 2 middle rods were angled a little toward the outside. I didn't get real technical with line counters and all that. I had an old Eagle Explorer hand held GPS and I would run at 1.8-2.2 MPH. And you better NOT make a turn that didn't take half the lake or you'd have a mess!