Tent camping when it is so hot you cannot sleep?

Bowdacious

moondawg said:
stik said:
moondawg said:
FOX FIRE said:
I'll camp during winter before try'n to sleep in a tent in hot weather, fat boys & hot weather just dont work.

Exactly. :grin:

I'd much rather camp when it's cold than when it is hot.

we camped in hickman co. once years ago and in 5 days, it never got over 12 degrees. i'll take the heat.

Well, I don't camp when it's THAT cold. :D
I camped once a month for several years when the boys were in scouts. Hot, cold or storming, it didn't matter - we went. I prefer hot to the other two.
When I was growing up we camped for a week at the beach a few times. It wasn't bad at all.
As for cold....stik takes the kerosene heater now and I stay toasty warm until nature calls. :)
As for the original post- electric site, a fan and a shade tree.

fishboy1

Lived in FL for a lot of years.

Camping in the heat sucks. Humidity and bugs!!!

4th of july one year we went to the Keys for a 5 day fishing/camping trip. First night there a storm came up and blew the tent apart...literally. Doofus put the tent away wet and the cotton seams all rotted.

Had to sleep in the van... 85 degrees 97% humidity at 2 am.
Next night we slept on the picnic tables until the skeeters got so bad you had to cover your face or they would get in your nose/ears.
Final night we drove to key west to the parking lot by the bay. Opened all the doors to the van to get a cross breeze and finally got a couple hours of sleep. Then we got rousted by the cops and had to drive 90 minutes back to the campground.

That did it for me. No more camping when its hot without some sort of amenities.

sure shot

"02 cool" fans are the ones with 8 "d" batteries we have 3.last year went to a fam reunion with 4 kids in one tent they sure kept it cool . range from 20-29$

timberjack86

fishboy1 said:
Lived in FL for a lot of years.

Camping in the heat sucks. Humidity and bugs!!!

4th of july one year we went to the Keys for a 5 day fishing/camping trip. First night there a storm came up and blew the tent apart...literally. Doofus put the tent away wet and the cotton seams all rotted.

Had to sleep in the van... 85 degrees 97% humidity at 2 am.
Next night we slept on the picnic tables until the skeeters got so bad you had to cover your face or they would get in your nose/ears.
Final night we drove to key west to the parking lot by the bay. Opened all the doors to the van to get a cross breeze and finally got a couple hours of sleep. Then we got rousted by the cops and had to drive 90 minutes back to the campground.

That did it for me. No more camping when its hot without some sort of amenities.
Thats crazy! and miserable!

fishboy1

Probably the second worst was a camping trip to Crystal River.

Left late and got there after dark in the rain. Set up the tent and got absolutely clobbered by skeeters. Spent 3 hours drinking beer and killing skeeters in the tent so we could sleep.

Rain, then stop and humidity would climb until you about lost your mind, then it would rain again. All the while you could hear the whine of the skeeters.

When it got light, our campsite was surrounded by salt marsh and flood water. No wonder the skeeters were so bad. Moved to a different campground and had a half decent weekend.

J.Maples

Thanks for all the replys. Just one experience a on hot night,went down to Macon Ga to hunt at Piedmont Fed. area, where as we didn't
have to buy a permit. I finally saw one small space to park in the free campground between vehicles. We parked, stepped out right on top of fire-ant mounds. An experience I won't soon forget.Didn't sleep none the rest of that night.

BlackBelt

Ive got some battery powered quiet tent fans. I take an aluminum foil pan like you cook a turkey in and put a bag of ice in it or you can skip the pan if you freeze some gallon jugs of water. Put the fan on the other side of the pan or jugs and have it blow across them towards you. Its almost like having air conditioning in the tent.

Latest posts