Tent camping when it is so hot you cannot sleep?

J.Maples

What do you do to get a breeze?
I suppose it is worth it to just use a powered outlet tent site and
pay the extra, toting along a portable A.C. or some fans.
Any great ideas here?
Thanks

Brisco Darlin

I hate camping in hot weather. I've never taken anything along. just open up all the windows and doors in the tent. Hard to sleep when you got sweat rolling down your face. usually around 2 or 3 am it finally cools off.

Gravey

I can't sleep when it's hot. My brother-in-law, my son, and myself took our camper down to a new lease this past weekend and when we hooked the generator up that night it ran but no power in the camper. We checked everything on the camper before leaving and the generator ran but we didn't hook the generator to the camper to see if that worked. As it turns out something's wrong with it and not the camper. We opened all windows and it got down to the low 60's but it was hot as hades when we went to bed and it took me a while to fall asleep. If there's no air I'm out.

jb3

I don't camp in hot weather. I'm a early spring or late fall camper. Maybe this weekend would be nice with the temps dropping.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Won't do it anymore myself either.
Just makes it too miserable.

I have seen fishboy bring an air conditioner and run some duct work into the tent.
Pretty darn neat.

gtk

Staff member
i used to take a smaller "shop" fan with me when I camped with the boy scouts.. Even "warm" air circulating beats no air at all..

Kids used to say my tent looked like a balloon fixing to pop..

turk870

my wife bought this thing for camping for the dogs while were at hunt test.you put ice in it and there is a fan blows cold air on you.like a swamp cooler

Mag

2-Step Enabled
We have a couple of battery powered fans that we found at Wal-Mart. they are square and can be hung from a hook or stand up on a folding base. I think they run on 8 D batteries and push quite a bit of air. Only had to use for a few hours in the really hot evenings, enough to take the edge off.

Bowdacious

A quick dip in the creek and sleep naked??
Stay up drinking until it cools down or you pass out works.

A box fan at the door and all windows open makes a nice breeze.

moondawg

I don't camp much (if at all) during the warmer months for that reason--I don't sleep well when it's warm. If it's in the low 60s at night, I might go. Anything above 70 at night, I probably won't go...unless I stay in a hotel room. :D

I remember I borrowed a cheap tent and went camping in Arkansas in June several years ago. There was just a little mesh on top for a little ventilation. Otherwise, there was NO ventilation. I ended up getting in my truck and rolling the windows down...and that wasn't much better. If you camp in the warmer months, you have to have a tent with big open windows for cross ventilation.

jb3

Saw a battery operated fan in a bass pro flyer. Looked small, but could buy a couple and get some type of ventilation going.

fishboy1

Pop for an electric site. Bring box fans or I prefer a small window unit ac.

Nothing like waking up refreshed and seeing your friends from the other tent looking like they just finished a marathon. :D

stik

fishboy1 said:
Pop for an electric site. Bring box fans or I prefer a small window unit ac.

Nothing like waking up refreshed and seeing your friends from the other tent looking like they just finished a marathon. :D

we don't camp in campgrounds so there is no electric sites.

moondawg

FOX FIRE said:
I'll camp during winter before try'n to sleep in a tent in hot weather, fat boys & hot weather just dont work.

Exactly. :grin:

I'd much rather camp when it's cold than when it is hot.

stik

moondawg said:
FOX FIRE said:
I'll camp during winter before try'n to sleep in a tent in hot weather, fat boys & hot weather just dont work.

we camped in hickman co. once years ago and in 5 days, it never got over 12 degrees. i'll take the heat.

moondawg

stik said:
moondawg said:
FOX FIRE said:

we camped in hickman co. once years ago and in 5 days, it never got over 12 degrees. i'll take the heat.

Well, I don't camp when it's THAT cold. :D

Latest posts