Tell Me If I'm Wrong?

lpo1981

Had the first logger come out today and look at my remaining 20 acres.. He said he would do 50/50 on the job but he wasn't really Intrested in doing what I wanted to do as far as how I wanted it cut.. I was wanting to cut a 6-8 acre section in clear cut and leaving a few of my oaks in such then have another section approx 4 acres in size with the same being done to it.. He said he would clear cut those sections by he wanted to select cut the rest of the property outside what I wanted to do.. Am I wrong for wanting to try and stick with what I want to do as far as clear cutting a few areas for wildlife improvement and timber stand?? I'm hoping not all the loggers are going to be like this. Next one has a smaller operation so maybe he will be closer to what I want to do..

lpo1981

buckaroo said:
From what I've been hearing, not too many loggers are trustworthy, I 've been doing my own sawing.
It's way to much for me to try and tackle myself.. This was the first logger to come out, have a few more to go.. This first one was willing to do what I wanted but he wanted to select cut everything else as well..

diamond hunter

Id put a big orange tape around the trees I want to save,count them photo them or whatever.When he signs the contract that says if he cuts these trees that are marked he owes an additional $5,000 per tree he could start the work.Be selfish for your property cause its yours and protect what you love.

pass-thru

diamond hunter said:
Id put a big orange tape around the trees I want to save,count them photo them or whatever.When he signs the contract that says if he cuts these trees that are marked he owes an additional $5,000 per tree he could start the work.Be selfish for your property cause its yours and protect what you love.

...and you would never get the timber cut. No logger is going to agree to 5k liquidated damages for a tree when he's cutting all around it.

Finding a smaller crew that needs the work is probably what you need. You may not get a 50/50 cut if you don't have enough and good enough to limit to just what you want cut.

lpo1981

The logger I met with today has a big operation.. He is so booked up rite now that it will be may before he can start and he stated to me that he doesn't do small jobs usually under 15-20 acres that's why he wants to select cut the rest o the property.. Probably somebody with a smaller operation is what I'm going to have to look into.. The trees I want left are low grade trees that could prob only be used for pulp wood.. Have some low branches and some swell spots in them.. I just as soon leave those if there only going to bring 3$ a ton for pulp wood..

timberjack86

lpo1981 said:
The logger I met with today has a big operation.. He is so booked up rite now that it will be may before he can start and he stated to me that he doesn't do small jobs usually under 15-20 acres that's why he wants to select cut the rest o the property.. Probably somebody with a smaller operation is what I'm going to have to look into.. The trees I want left are low grade trees that could prob only be used for pulp wood.. Have some low branches and some swell spots in them.. I just as soon leave those if there only going to bring 3$ a ton for pulp wood..
Keep looking for a good logger. I always say my only boss is the landowner.The pulpwood price you got was what the logger was going to pay you. He will get anywhere from 22-32$ a ton. Its not alot but it helps the logger pay his expences. Your money will come from saw logs and ties. Its your property and your choice.Keep looking!

BSK

lpo1981 said:
He said he would do 50/50 on the job but he wasn't really Intrested in doing what I wanted to do as far as how I wanted it cut..

Am I wrong for wanting to try and stick with what I want to do as far as clear cutting a few areas for wildlife improvement and timber stand??

Next one has a smaller operation so maybe he will be closer to what I want to do..

No, you are not wrong for wanting your forest cut exactly the way you want. You are on the right track by thinking smaller operation.

To get my woods cut exactly the way I wanted, I had to go with a small operation (father and son business), and drop down to a 40/60 profit arrangement. This small operation took much longer to get the job done (they've been cutting every summer for three years), but I've been extremely pleased with what has been done to date. And I certainly haven't missed much by the 40/60 profit split.

Unfortunately, the father-son team I had been using decided to call it quits (the father has congestive heart failure). Now I'm looking for a new operation.

treefarmer

Try and avoid a select cut where the logger selects the trees to be cut. They will leave crooked, stunted undesirable trees to form the next forest. If you do select cut go in after the logger and deaden the undesirable trees.

farmin68

You are not wrong. If you were a cattle farmer and wanted to scale back from 100 brood cows to 50, which 50 would you sell? The best or worst performing?

Those cows....errr trees.. are yours! You keep the ones you want and sell the ones you don't want!

BSK

treefarmer said:
Try and avoid a select cut where the logger selects the trees to be cut. They will leave crooked, stunted undesirable trees to form the next forest. If you do select cut go in after the logger and deaden the undesirable trees.

This is EXACTLY what I do. If you try and force loggers to take trees they do not want, you will greatly limit your ability to attract a logger. The best advice is what treefarmer wrote above: let the logger take what they want, and you go in later and either kill or cut down what you don't want left standing. That requires lots of work, but it's worth it in the long run.

lpo1981

BSK said:
treefarmer said:

This is EXACTLY what I do. If you try and force loggers to take trees they do not want, you will greatly limit your ability to attract a logger. The best advice is what treefarmer wrote above: let the logger take what they want, and you go in later and either kill or cut down what you don't want left standing. That requires lots of work, but it's worth it in the long run.
Thats is a good point.. Well I believe I have found a logger, small operation (father and two sons) they are going to cut the areas I wanted cut and I am going to me them take a few trees from other areas.. They are ok with me marking some of my low grade oaks that can only be used for pulpwood due to defects. And best of all he is going to buy my cedar trees per tree.. It won't be much but will save the work of having to cut them down myself..

timberjack86

lpo1981 said:
BSK said:
treefarmer said:

Thats is a good point.. Well I believe I have found a logger, small operation (father and two sons) they are going to cut the areas I wanted cut and I am going to me them take a few trees from other areas.. They are ok with me marking some of my low grade oaks that can only be used for pulpwood due to defects. And best of all he is going to buy my cedar trees per tree.. It won't be much but will save the work of having to cut them down myself..
Thats great! Good luck!

Latest posts