TC Omega load for distance and still knock one down ?

8up

Ok I have the TC omega SS fluted barrel. I have always shot 250gr shockwave and 100gr 777 pellet. The combination has served me well But There is NO way you can shoot a second shot without swabbing in between. The barrel is very tight even clean.

Blackhorn reviews seem very good for burning clean and accuracy. My goals are to be able to shoot as far as possible accurately and still have the power to kill. Had to pass a monster last year because of distance.

Any help appreciated

MickThompson

I believe that BH209 generates a little more muzzle velocity than 777 but not for sure on that? It definitely shoots consistent from shot to shot with a fouled barrel. How far are you wanting to shoot?

Southern Sportsman

My best friend and I both bought omegas a few years ago. Both stainless, his is fluted. We shot a LOT of combos looking for exactly what you described. BH209 had not come out yet, so we didnt try that. Both guns love 105 gns (volume measurement) of loose 777 and 245 gn Barnes Spitfire MZ bullets. Respectable groups at 200 yards. I killed two does at 190ish on the same morning a few years ago. I've thought about trying BH209, but my current setup definitely falls under the "aint broke" category, so I just bought another pound of 777.

8up

Ok current scope is a 3x9 bushnell elite 4200 if I remember right. Its the clearest scope I have ever had On a deer rifle. I now have a Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x50. I could take it off a LAR. I should be shooting off a a gun rail in a ladder stand. I'm wanting to be able to hit the 200yd mark. Should I go with the flatter shooting 250gr or 290 at that distance?

dhpro

8up":nruo8etf said:
Ok I have the TC omega SS fluted barrel. I have always shot 250gr shockwave and 100gr 777 pellet. The combination has served me well But There is NO way you can shoot a second shot without swabbing in between. The barrel is very tight even clean.

Blackhorn reviews seem very good for burning clean and accuracy. My goals are to be able to shoot as far as possible accurately and still have the power to kill. Had to pass a monster last year because of distance.

Any help appreciated
I have same gun ,I could not get black horn group well .tried lots different locations ads and sever bullet. I shoot 250 t/c and a 150 777 pellets it will kill at 170 yard .it group that load at 100 in a snuff can .hope this helps. I want shoot the black horn bad if you find load in it that your gun looks like give me a holler I'll try in my gun thanks

Southern Sportsman

8up":2k4hykos said:
Ok current scope is a 3x9 bushnell elite 4200 if I remember right. Its the clearest scope I have ever had On a deer rifle. I now have a Nikon Monarch 3 6-24x50. I could take it off a LAR. I should be shooting off a a gun rail in a ladder stand. I'm wanting to be able to hit the 200yd mark. Should I go with the flatter shooting 250gr or 290 at that distance?

I like the 245 spitfire a lot. It's a hollow point, but not as extreme as the expander. Good knockdown (plenty for deer), but better BC. Mine shoots about 2" groups at 100 and roughly 4" at 200.

TNRifleman

Interesting. Mine is a Omega Dream Season with the fluted Octagonal barrel. 2 shots work well for me but more than three or more, accuracy falls off. This was a second deer I shot two years ago with mine after shooting a buck 30 minutes prior. She was sot at 110 yds., dead broadside. My load is 250 gr. Hornady SST with 100gr of 777 pellet.

451LRML

8up":2rlzjut5 said:

Any help appreciated

It's been my experience with in-lines that going heavier with the projectile was the way for me way to extend my range. With this comes more recoil (so will more powder) and with extended distance comes bullet drop. A good scope is a must, don't be afraid to turn the turrets - tactical scope works best. It's a lot of fun to practice and learn what you and your gun can do.

Southern Sportsman

Good point. With my setup, I get 12-15 inches of drop from 100 to 200. I dont have a tacticle scope, but you better know where to aim if shooting 150+

tnhunter69

I have shot Blackhorn 209 out of my Omega for about 3 years and tired many different load combinations at different ranges from 50 to 250 yds. The load that has worked the best for me and several of my buddies Omega's is 60 gr of Blackhorn 209 weighed with a scale (not by volume) and Hornady 300 gr SST low drag sabots. This combo will shoot through 5 gallon jugs of water at 100 yds and is very accurate. I have killed deer in Indiana at around 250 yds and they are DIT with this load.

451LRML

Southern Sportsman":256afjz1 said:
Good point. With my setup, I get 12-15 inches of drop from 100 to 200. I dont have a tacticle scope, but you better know where to aim if shooting 150+
SS: I found with my in-line and a miss years ago that once one is past PBR - one is guessing. I agree with your 12-15" or it may be 7-10", either way for me I'd rather turn my dial and put the cross hairs where I know my bullet will impact - If I do my part with the hold. Today's rangefinders makes this very easy.

Latest posts