Target practice VS real life

eastTN270

So, i'm into my 3rd year of being serious about bow hunting and still have yet to kill a deer. Yes I am a little frustrated and discouraged, but we won't talk about that now. I have a block 4x4 target that i practice on. It seems that when i shoot at the side with the dots or diamonds on it that i never really hit them, but just outside of the circle. But when I shoot at the side that has the broadside deer on it I almost always put a kill shot on it. Do I need to focus more on trying to hit the dots, or should I feel ok that I can shoot the deer in a good spot every time?

ShaneHallum

I do the same thing with my target.. IMO the side with all the dots is TOO much to look focus on. The side with the deer is easy for me as well.

Hunter0678

I tend to disagree with the other replies, I like to shoot the dots for fine tuneing, sure shootin the vitals is good but do you practice with it say turned 45 deg in or out... you have to be more precise then. Also in the woods you dont always have that perfect broadside clear shot. I like to shoot the dots as I picture a specific spot on a deer and shoot for it, might just be a few hairs out of place or what ever. Also when you can drill tacks, you are alot more likely to be able to snake a perfect shot through a hole in some leaves or limbs when you need to.

eddie c

spots are for fine tuning and getting your sights lined up. except for fawns, there are no spots on deer. you need to learn the anatomy(sp?) of a deer and concentrate on the best angles to get your arrow thru the vitals.

Living2Hunt

A LOT OF TIME, PEOPLE KNOW WHERE TO HIT A DEER, WHETHER IT BE FROM GUN HUNTING OR WATCHING PEOPLE SHOOT THEM! BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SHOOTING SOMETHING NEW LIKE DOTS , OR DIAMONDS, I NOTICE PEOPLE TRY A LITTLE HARDER TO HIT THEM. KINDA INIMIDATED BY SUCH A SMALL TARGET. LIKE THEY TRY TO HARD! SOMETIMES IT TAKES CLOSING UR EYES, TAKE A DEEP BREATH, AND THEN OPEN EYES AND SHOOT! BUT IF U HIT THE DEER SIDE RIGHT EVERTIME, U HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT! TARGET SHOOTING AND SHOOTING DEER ARE 2 DIFFERENT THINGS IMO! SAYING THIS BC I USE TO SHOOT 3D SHOOTS, AND OTHER ARCHERY TOURNAMENTS! BUT GOOD LUCK, U WILL BE FINE!

Latest posts