Tamale Quest

JMcB

I've read that these are thin and greasy, which happens to be just the way I like em. The tamale shop on Magnolia in Knox closed a few years ago. Now the only ones I've found around here are fat & dry.

TAFKAP

This is the only tamale truck I've ever bought from. He's always parked in this BP station at the corner of Thomas & Chelsea. I think he just microwaves them inside the gas station. His are hot, but pretty one-dimensional. They needed salt and a bit more meat. But on a cold day, it's hard to beat. I remember paying about $1/each. I ordered a bowl of greens from Ms. Girlee's across the street, and was pretty well set for lunch.

1461596_623223308895_1662400751_n.jpg

BamaProud

I picked up a dozen tamales from Hattie's. $12.00 for a dozen, price was right, but they really aren't what I would call Delta tamales. I am a big fan of small out of the way individually owned places, this place definitely fit the bill...although I wouldn't go at night. Its not the most affluent part of town, but the people were really nice and seemed happy to have the business.

Overall I wasn't impressed. The meat filling flavor was good, but thin and greasy as JMcB described them is spot on. They didn't have much cornmeal/masa coating at all, not even enough to cover the meat filling. They were also tightly wrapped in parchment paper, so tight that you essentially had to destroy the tamale to get it out. I doubt I will be back.

BamaProud

I'd love to, but for some reason the family would rather go on a cruise or to the beach than tour the Mississippi river delta eating unhealthy food. I try to stop when I'm passing through generally on the way to the coast.

My Mother-N-Law was born in Lake Village, AR, just across the River from Greenville, MS she used to bring me Tamales from Doe Eat Place, they are by far the best I have had. I've had them from Pasquels, Fat Mama's, Scotts, and Dori's.

KCW

The gas station at Hwy 72 and Cayce rd had good tamales the last time I was there, but it has been at least a yr ago. Not greasy at all. I like em kinda
dry myself. The girl that worked there would make them at home I believe.

BigPete357

I remember the guy that had a little cart and wore the sombrero on Winchester & Millbranch. this was back in the 80's. I was afraid to try them at first, but I sho want some now.

BamaProud

Here are the Tamales with a ball point pen for reference.
As you can see there is very little cornmeal/masa coating.
2014-01-21182759_zps361324f0.jpg

The ones I made last year have too much cornmeal(yes I am still eating them), so together they were pretty tasty.
2014-01-21183444_zps9e34a647.jpg

Latest posts