Philly steak question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Got a hankering for some philly steak & cheese.
Talking to my buddy that cooks all the time and I was telling him the only thing I dreaded was trying to slice up a couple ribeyes.
He said our local grocery had 12 ounce packs of shaved ribeye!!! Never heard of such there.
Hoping they will still have a couple when I get off work today.

My question is, when you do these how do you season your meat?
I was planning on doing the same thing I do when I cook steaks but maybe just not quite as much.
This will be my first time attempting it.

Will be cooking on the stove as I haven't pulled the trigger on a griddle yet.

jb3

Never cooked them, just ate them. I shop at Publix and they've had shaved ribeye for quite a while. First if was pre-packaged stuff and now they are packaging it themselves.

slugger118

Sirloins work great on my Blackstone. I catch them when their on sale at Food City. The butcher will shave it for you. They are awesome marinated in worchester sauce and topped with provolone.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Gonna try this out.
12 ounces for like $7

9CB39ABD-B9F3-453C-920A-67D351D38CF2.jpeg

Mud Creek

Thats what we use sometimes. We love it.

SPG for me. The wife soaks both packages of meat in a little Dale's(very little)with black pepper and garlic powder. Throw on some melted provolone at the end. Yellow cheese sauce is dang good to but I prefer provolone. We did that last week actually and I could've ate it all myself!

DaveB

Just saw the post.

We use the shaved stuff quite a bit and my Sons are both crazy about marinating long as two days. No salt. SOME of what they use: Pepper, worcestershire, McCormicks brown sugar bourbon stuff, real garlic mushed into paste then coupla teaspoons of water mixed together. Sons toss and mush the steak with the marinade then cover with saran wrap and refrigerate at the very least 18 hours.

I like my beef cooked a shade past rare and the shaved stuff is VERY hard to get that way. You have to watch it close, it gets done very fast. We use a small cast iron pan. If you use a big one, you will end up with some beef cooked into treebark.

Once you have the beef the rest of the Phillys steak sammich is simple. Cook them in the same pan, use the 4-color peppers, Sweet yellow onions, cheese of your choice. FYI----my sons decided store-bought grated cheese was a ripoff. They searched out graters and tried a few and cheese blocks of various sizes. Eventually they settled on the old fashioned 4-sided grater and three separate kinds of cheese. The price difference will amaze you and most importantly, the finished product is far superior.

And walmart buns are good, not the whole wheat variety. I think they call them sub buns. They go bad fast must refrigerate.

Gronkmonster

Johnny Fleeman's is awesome stuff. Used at Legends steakhouse. Has like a third of the sodium that Dale's has. Even way lower than their reduced sodium version

WTM

i carmelize the onions, 1 large sweet. low heat, takes about 20 minutes. set aside. when i cook the beef i season with pepper and lawry's seasoned salt.(they use it in texas on brisket). cook the beef, then add the carmelized onions and cover with 8 or so slices of provolone, put on the lid and let it melt. my wife likes bell peppers so i add a few before the cheese. she like a little crunch. nothing worse than soggy peppers.

i make my own rolls and use fresh made garlic butter spread and toast them. one clove pressed garlic and 1 stick soft butter. mix with mixer or fork.

DaveB

Yeah, Pep Farms rolls are way superior. We keep thinking we are gonna try and replicate the recipe but all we have produced so far most closely resemble rocks with soft centers.

And the Pep Farm prices reflect that taste. BTW, they also go moldy really fast, must refrigerate.

My Son swears it is the human hand that carries the mold to any flour-based product. Anyone have knowledge on that subject?

Latest posts