Tagged out! With best to date.

dogmatik

Since the opener of muzzleloader, this is the 10th deer off of the farm in Clay county. My plan was to get my nephew and my son on a deer and that was #8 and #9. Only my oldest nephew from Mt Juliet wanted to go out this morning, and my 8am he said he might have another hour in him then he's walking back home to eat.
We got out there maybe 545. I was sitting on a ridge in a spot we call the rock ledge. It's like a bench of rocks under a power line easement that drops down the ridge and across the creek. I sit on a milk crate with a butt pad added for comfort. At 605 I catch movement right next to me and I'm thinking how can a deer be that close. I turn my head and me and mr bobcat are eye to eye and he's 10'feet away. I don't know who was more startled lol. I tried to slowly get my phone out for a pic but it wasn't feeling very photogenic and it took off.
This was followed by almost 4 hours of zero action. No squirrels no nothing. At 950 I decide to call it at 10 and head back. Figure just for kicks I'll hit the grunt call. I put it in my bag and within 1 minute I hear something coming along the ridge above me and to my right. I see the legs and go to grab binoculars but they weren't needed as I could see it was a decent buck. The plan was not to shoot anything unless it's the biggest I've shot.
The deer stops maybe 30 yards away with everything but his hind end covered by a tree. He steps forward and I see him looking around and I assume trying to locate the source of the grunt. He takes a few more steps and I'm like yeah I'm gonna shoot. He's quartering away and above me and almost over the top. I stand and all the powerlines are between he and I. So I wait for 2 more steps so I can clear the wires and fire. He drops. Right on the path I walked in on earlier. The 7mm08 did its thing for sure. I called my brother just to tell him, then walked over to the deer while on the phone.
Pretty dang good season for sure. I could still take a doe but that ain't happening!!! I've hunted every day this week minus the opener due to the 11 hour drive up. Maybe a yote will pass by tomorrow.
e7a1ba74d2a334e6b059a7bff13c3de8.jpg
2b3bf1566d413ce337e783e217087a81.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simpleman.2

Re: Tagged out! With best to date.

Congrats on the deer. Nice gun too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts