Tag before you drag?

Headhunter

It's easier to use the app and do it electronically. You can do that whether you have cell service or not. As soon as you get back in cell service it will upload to the TWRA database. Trust me on this… I had a run in with a GW in Benton Co. this past Turkey Season. I killed a bird, and had left my phone at the truck. He saw me with the bird in the woods on the way to the truck. Long story short… I got a ticket. I checked the turkey as soon as I got to my phone too.. but it didn't matter to the officer as I had broken the law as it was written.
That warden and me would have went to court.

DayDay

2-Step Enabled
Was it okay years ago to drag the deer to a vehicle before placing the tag on it (tag after you drag or maybe tag before you drive)? Seems like that it was this way. Now there is "tag before you drag" which can be done electronically and it includes providing some data on the deer harvested.

If allowed to tag after dragging, a person can load the deer on a vehicle and out of sight and never tag it or drag the deer to the house and decide not to tag it. With current system, it is more risky for a poacher to try to get away without ever tagging.

I like the phone app in conjunction with the "tag before you drag" concept. I never have to print out any tags nor keep up with them. I think it is normal in most states to require that big game be tagged but maybe not necessarily before moving the animal from the spot where it died.

iowavf

Don't get caught in iowa transporting or even moving a deer without the transportation tag because it won't end well. You hear about those DNR sales at the end of each year where they sell guns, fishing poles and even vehicles, where do you think they get those? I know two guys who lost their deer and shotguns along with giving up hunting privileges for two years for this. People have been ticketed for even moving the buck to a better spot in the field for pictures and posting on social media with no tag attached to the antler.

Joe2Kool

I always have a paper tag just in case my phone dies. But I have used the app in places with no cell coverage and it still works. You get a message that says something like "Info received. Will upload once coverage established ".
I then screenshot that and save as a pic.

Joe2Kool

Don't get caught in iowa transporting or even moving a deer without the transportation tag because it won't end well. You hear about those DNR sales at the end of each year where they sell guns, fishing poles and even vehicles, where do you think they get those? I know two guys who lost their deer and shotguns along with giving up hunting privileges for two years for this. People have been ticketed for even moving the buck to a better spot in the field for pictures and posting on social media with no tag attached to the antler.
Hunted Iowa this year and had a GW check our licenses. Friendly conversation but found it interesting when he said "I always get excited when I see a deer with no tag. But then I find out it came from Missouri, which doesn't require tagging. And it can be imported into Iowa "

huvrman

I just returned from a state that you have to physically still get checked in. They look at and put their hands on 100% of the deer tagged.

The TWRA app is great 😂

For once Alabama may have the TWRA beat on something. Their app allows you to log it in even without phone signal. That way you are legal immediately and once signal is gained the app automatically sends the info in for you. And the TWRA app well do this now. Anyone know for sure?
Yes, TWRA app does that too.

Willysman

If I have to tag it I put the tag in their ear and put a rubber band around it. I do have a smart phone but don't have email on it. So If I check the animal without cell service then I don't get confirmation until they send it to my home email. Killed a deer yesterday morning (Wed) and didn't get confirmation until today. (Thurs). So basically if I don't tag it and get stopped by a warden (not likely) then I assume I would be in violation. So without cell service I better have a little paper tag while I wait for confirmation. I know, I know before somebody says it I need email on my phone.

Easy3actual

If I have to tag it I put the tag in their ear and put a rubber band around it. I do have a smart phone but don't have email on it. So If I check the animal without cell service then I don't get confirmation until they send it to my home email. Killed a deer yesterday morning (Wed) and didn't get confirmation until today. (Thurs). So basically if I don't tag it and get stopped by a warden (not likely) then I assume I would be in violation. So without cell service I better have a little paper tag while I wait for confirmation. I know, I know before somebody says it I need email on my phone.
Your confirmation number can be found in the app too. You can do it after you submit your harvest info. On the same screen you put the put your harvest info in, there is a history button. It will list all of your harvest info and the confirmation number.

Headhunter

For enforcing the law??
Nope, for not using common sense. From what I understood, he was on his way to get his phone to check it in, still in the woods where he killed the bird. I could see if he was driving down the road with his phone and hadn't checked it in, hid the bird in the woods, etc. But kill a bird, either forgot temporary kill tag, lost it, or just don't have one, if you left your phone in the truck or even at home, so long you showed you were doing whatever to check the bird in, why write that person a ticket? Wouldn't take much of a lawyer to beat that one in my opinion.

oldmanelrod

2-Step Enabled
• Big game must be checked in by midnight on the day of harvest AND before being gifted to another person or leaving the state. • Temporary Transportation Tag must remain affixed to the animal until it is checked in.
SCN,
You are the man on this answer but I am still a little confused. Does checking the deer in on the TWRA app constitute a final checkin and thus no need to attach a check in tag.

Kritter Gitter

I still think the old tags were better if they wanted us to do this. Once you punched those, no going back. A lot of hunters are going to be dishonest no matter what the system is, we cant fix those people, but the honest hunters are gonna do the right thing one way or the other. The app sure is handy but I used to love going by the checking stations and talking to the other hunters and seeing what was taken. But these paper tags are a huge waste of effort!

Latest posts