Tag before you drag?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I haven't deer hunted in several years. Seems everything changes every year.
Had a discussion yesterday and I am just curious.
The way I read the regs if you kill a deer you have to fill out the little paper tags that come with your license that you print out.
Then you have to check the deer in.

1) Do you have to attach the little paper tag to the deer?
2) How long do you have to check the deer in after the kill?

Specializedjon

1. Yes, you have to tag the deer before you drag. I carry zip ties for this. I'm sure you can do it at the truck or whatever.
2. I think 24-hours (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I check mine in through the TWRA app. It's pretty easy. It knows your location, snap a few photos of the gender (sexist app obviously) and hit submit.

DoubleRidge

The way I read it you can use the app to check deer in right there on the spot and don't have to tag it. Only have to tag it if you are not using app to check it in. I think the app will work even if you don't have cell service

This is my understanding as well....use the app to check deer in and your done....so it's "check in on app before you drag" and if you don't have smart phone then "paper tag before you drag"

scn

1. Yes, you have to tag the deer before you drag. I carry zip ties for this. I'm sure you can do it at the truck or whatever.
2. I think 24-hours (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

I check mine in through the TWRA app. It's pretty easy. It knows your location, snap a few photos of the gender (sexist app obviously) and hit submit.

• Big game must be checked in by midnight on the day of harvest AND before being gifted to another person or leaving the state. • Temporary Transportation Tag must remain affixed to the animal until it is checked in.

PalsPal

If you got your phone on you, you can check in the deer with the TWRA app before you drag, and then no tag is needed.

Correct. No need to carry a paper tag. You get the confirmation number immediately on your phone. That's all you need.

Could they have made this any more confusing? Wait, they just might!

PalsPal

Ok, here is a fairly straightforward graphic.

Attachments

• 20211123_080036.jpg
    20211123_080036.jpg
    400.6 KB · Views: 149

270MONTS

I always carry some of the paper tags just in case I need them. Phone may go dead or something. When it gets really cold my phone will not stay charged.

Headhunter

Tag before dragging is a complete waste of time and money. Makes no sense, serves no purpose and basically is just a way for a game warden to write a ticket. If you filled out a tag with some information, age, weight, male, female, number of points, spread, score, etc. and it was used for some kind of record keeping, then it would be useful. Other than that, a complete waste.

Wrangler95

Tag before dragging is a complete waste of time and money. Makes no sense, serves no purpose and basically is just a way for a game warden to write a ticket. If you filled out a tag with some information, age, weight, male, female, number of points, spread, score, etc. and it was used for some kind of record keeping, then it would be useful. Other than that, a complete waste.
There are some dishonest hunters who make it home without tagging it in the field who will never check the deer in.

DoubleRidge

I love the convenience of the TWRA app....I check deer in where they lay and I'm done....takes under 5 minutes....beats the heck out of driving around to our local markets who are owned by folks who don't hunt and have little interest in hunting....I don't have to stand there in the stinking grease pit with my hunting clothes on waiting in line to check in a deer while they are busy trying to sell beer, cigarettes and lottery tickets...then finally get up to counter and they inform me "machine no work"....so I'd drive on too the next market and start the process all over again.....yeah I absolutely love the app....sure there will be dishonest people who won't check in a deer on the app...or paper tag a deer before driving home....but those same people were being dishonest before....the app is convenient for hunters who want to follow the law....I also appreciate the fact that I can go back in time and see every deer and turkey I've checked in using the app...very handy.

Headhunter

There are some dishonest hunters who make it home without tagging it in the field who will never check the deer in.
And tag before you drag changes that how? I have been involved with hundreds of dead deer n Tennessee, my help is available to most anyone. I have been called at all hours of the day and night and unless I am to far away or just can't help (only a couple times have I ever not been able to help) to help with skinning and deboning deer. I enjoy it as much as the hunting.

Never and I mean NEVER have I seen a "temporary tag" checked by anyone, never, never heard of anyone getting in trouble for not having a temporary tag. If someone is going to NOT check in a deer, they are going to do that whether or not tag before dragging is in place. And since cell phones, I just check them when I kill them. If I don't have service, I check them when service comes available.

Wrangler95

Transporting a deer is to either have a tag on it or checkin on the phone where the deer lays.If a hunter is very close to home and wants to take the chance he may bypass the checkin!!Seen it happen!Why do you think the TWRA requires you to either tag it on the spot or checkin on your phone?If the Warden see's your deer with no tag or see's it not checked in on your phone,you have broken the law!

Headhunter

Transporting a deer is to either have a tag on it or checkin on the phone where the deer lays.If a hunter is very close to home and wants to take the chance he may bypass the checkin!!Seen it happen!Why do you think the TWRA requires you to either tag it on the spot or checkin on your phone?If the Warden see's your deer with no tag or see's it not checked in on your phone,you have broken the law!
I have never seen tag before you drag ever checked and back in the nineties I passed a warden several times with a deer on a rack that mounts in trailer hitch. I checked all my deer, just not with the temporary tag that is useless and worthless. I would bet you a substantial amount of money that you could never "tag before you drag" and take the deer to wherever you take it, for the rest of you hunting life and unless you are on a quota hunt of some kind where you have to check the deer in at the area being hunted, the "tag before you drag" would NEVER be checked, not ONE time.

Headhunter

And even if someone is stopped or checked because a warden doesn't see a temporary tag only to find out it has been checked in on a phone, I bet it will only take couple of those and the warden is not wasting his time for a "tag before you drag" because most likely it is already checked in. That is another waste of time and money about 'tag before you drag". The warden's time to check or pull them over check only to find out the deer is already checked int.

Latest posts