Tactical home defense shotgun questions

DaveTN

I have both semi-auto and pump. My Remington 870 is my designated home defense shotgun. My 1100 Competition Synthetic is a range toy. Like CCAGLE95, I just feel the pump has less possibility of having function problems.

I use 12 ga 00 buck for that application. But everyone has their own ideas. Penetration through walls is not a concern for me.

I doubt I would use a shotgun against a person. Being woke during the night, my nightstand revolver is my first choice, my semi-auto carry handgun is my second choice. I have a dog, so I won't have to "clear" my house, I will know exactly where intruders are.

How you engage a threat is more important than the gun you use. I would assume they are also armed and trying to shoot me, and respond appropriately.

Remington700

Pump is less likely to have a problem. I believe the 12 vs 20 would just be a personal preference. They say the best home defense load is bird shot. It is deadly in the room, but wont go through walls and hurt people in the next room.

Steverino

Neighbors are pretty much within reach of an AR15 but not necessarily a handgun or shotgun (I have #1 buck in my Mossberg 500) after going thru walls. My searching is based on my age and racking a round in a shotgun gets less easier each year. I have a couple of handguns also available and also a dog. We have ADT also and cameras. So I was wondering about switching to a semi - 12 ga with a short barrel and large capacity instead. But like mentioned theres always the possibility of a jam. Time for me to set up the thrower in the yard and smash clays with the Mossberg and see how fast I can do it. Thanks for all the information - preciate it and you.

mike243

Bird shot will go through 2 walls, I know for a fact as my baby brother loaded my 12g and let rip, baby sister was in same room, had the shells in a belt in top of closet, somehow he got them down and loaded it, scary

MickThompson

a jammed semi auto takes the same effort to clear as cycling a pump. A semi auto can be fired 1-handed as well if need be. I think the biggest advantage for a pump over a semiauto is a pump is cheaper so we're more likely to spend the money on a dedicated defensive weapon

C1295

a jammed semi auto takes the same effort to clear as cycling a pump. A semi auto can be fired 1-handed as well if need be. I think the biggest advantage for a pump over a semiauto is a pump is cheaper so we're more likely to spend the money on a dedicated defensive weapon
I have to disagree on that one. I can cycle my pump a lot faster than a spur of the moment jam especially if someone's shooting at me. Plus a self defense gun more than likely is just gonna sit around a lot and a semi auto needs to be cleaned and well lubed to properly function more so then a pump. I agree with the one handed part that is a big plus(if it doesn't for some reason Jam.)

cm1021

A pump is always going to be a great HD option, but there are some semi-auto models out there now that I would trust for sure!

As far as gauge, 12 only, just for a larger selection of HD specific ammo. You can even get low recoil if the kick is too much.

Look at the beretta a300 ultima patrol.

PillsburyDoughboy

Hard to say which one is best. Its probably going to come down to user preference and user dedication in learning to manipulate and the learning curve of the tube fed shotgun.

The biggest advantages of the semi auto shotgun are the generally kick less than the pump and can be manipulated in alternate shooting positions such as Prone and braced shooting positions without transition and they can be manipulated with one hand if the other hand is required to do other things such as manipulate a radio, cell phone, flashlight or rescue a family member from harms way such as a small child.
The Biggest cons are they are more expensive and generally require feeding it premium ammo. They can be sensitive to loads.

12 Gauge IMHO is really the only way to go. Although a argument could be made for 20 Gauge for very fragile or weak family members such as smaller children or very small framed women. Shorter stocks or should I say properly fitted stocks go a long way to soaking up recoil when they "fit" correctly in the pocket.

I am probably in the minority here but #1 Buckshot would be my recommended load. .30 cal projectiles and you have 12 to 16 of them going down range compared to 8 or 9. Usually gives very good patterns.

Last edited:

Talome13

Personally I would rather have a semi. With that said, I would shoot it a ton to check function before I made it my defense weapon. Same with any firearm

Schap

The best one is the one your trained with and have mastered using in a stressful situation. People don't tend not to rise to the occasion they revert to the level of training that they have mastered….

Big Chief200

My home defense shotgun is a old Scattergun Technologies Remington 870. I shoot Remington #4 buck shot that patterns great out to twenty five yards from a fixed improved cylinder bore. Any quality built defensive shotgun will do the job if you do yours. Here is a link that shows the capability of #4 buckshot.

CHRIS WILSON

Hard to say which one is best. Its probably going to come down to user preference and user dedication in learning to manipulate and the learning curve of the tube fed shotgun.

The biggest advantages of the semi auto shotgun are the generally kick less than the pump and can be manipulated in alternate shooting positions such as Prone and braced shooting positions without transition and they can be manipulated with one hand if the other hand is required to do other things such as manipulate a radio, cell phone, flashlight or rescue a family member from harms way such as a small child.
The Biggest cons are they are more expensive and generally require feeding it premium ammo. They can be sensitive to loads.

12 Gauge IMHO is really the only way to go. Although a argument could be made for 20 Gauge for very fragile or weak family members such as smaller children or very small framed women. Shorter stocks or should I say properly fitted stocks go a long way to soaking up recoil when they "fit" correctly in the pocket.

I am probably in the minority here but #1 Buckshot would be my recommended load. .30 cal projectiles and you have 12 to 16 of them going down range compared to 8 or 9. Usually gives very good patterns.
Gonna agree with the 12 gauge, #1 buckshot load. Federal has a 16 pellet count premium loading that would be a devastating close quarters home defense round.

Seabee

Winchester has a 12g 3 inch load of 24 #1 Buck at 1040fps. It would be a good first round followed by 2 3/4" Buck or slugs.

Latest posts