swapping seeds

catman529

Depends on what seeds and how they are stored. Cool, completely dry, seeds like tomatoes will stay upwards of 20 years, and over time the germination rate will decrease gradually. Corn does not last as long. I planted a bunch of tomato seeds this year that were at least a year old and they germinated very well.

FOX FIRE

Anyone might want to sell a few seeds ??

And tried to register at gardenweb but it wouldnt go thru, is that site still working or not ??

catman529

FOX FIRE said:
Anyone might want to sell a few seeds ??

And tried to register at gardenweb but it wouldnt go thru, is that site still working or not ??
I used to post there a lot but haven't in a year or two, so I dont know.

What kind of seeds are you looking for?

FOX FIRE

Just any kind of heirloom tomato seeds, just to try them out, really dont know what other type of seeds are available.

catman529

I gotta look through my jar of seeds first, but I can let you know what I got to spare and can send you a few. Been slacking in the seed saving department so I don't have as many as I should, but still should have a few to spare.

FOX FIRE

I've been poke'n around the web for some heirloom seeds suppliers, after browsing there sites I posted up links to a few I thought offered a good variety of seed & info.

Probably gonna order enuff to make a small garden with & see how it turns out, should have some to pass around.

Just try'n to contribute a little something to the tribe.

BlountArrow

BamaProud said:
I am looking for some Okra. ...unfortunately I do not have any seed to trade. However I would be willing to buy or trade for a bottle of homemade wine.

I guess I'm a little late - you still needing okra seeds? I have a variety that is unusual (well, unusual to me) in that they tend to grow sort of fat real quick and are ready to pick when they're about 3" long. They taste great. I grilled a lot and of course fried a lot last summer. They are prolific. Right now, my garden is covered in them and I do mean covered just from where old pods from last year got knocked around the garden and tilled under. Not to mention the (2) rows I planted.

We create names for our seeds a lot and I call these Smiley-Shaver's. A guy at work (last name Shaver) got them from another guy at work we call Smiley. Smiley has been saving them for Lord knows how long - he didn't know what they were - nor did Shaver of course who gave a bunch to me. I've been saving them year after year myself. Hence, Smiley-Shavers :) .

I've also got some of the best Pole Beans ever if I may say so. I got them from a buddy whose Great Grandmother started saving them over 100 years ago and their family has been saving the seeds year after year ever since. We call them Geneva beans because that was his Great Grandmother's name.

On a side note, I'm really not sure why I wrote all this since hardly no one stops by the Gardening forum :D :D .

DaveB

Wobbly--How did the yellow tomato taste? I grew these in CA and was pretty unhappy with the flavor.

As for how long will seeds last, I used to keep mine in a tin box with a package of silica gel and a layer of saran wrap over the top which was clamped down by the press-on tin lid. Some still do not germinate. Tomato seeds almost always do. Zucchini is nearly never. Carnation seeds keep really well. Annual Dahlias, zinnias, marigolds, not at all.

catman529

DaveB":13syuk27 said:
Wobbly--How did the yellow tomato taste? I grew these in CA and was pretty unhappy with the flavor.

As for how long will seeds last, I used to keep mine in a tin box with a package of silica gel and a layer of saran wrap over the top which was clamped down by the press-on tin lid. Some still do not germinate. Tomato seeds almost always do. Zucchini is nearly never. Carnation seeds keep really well. Annual Dahlias, zinnias, marigolds, not at all.
I can't speak for Wobbly but some of the yellows I have tried are sun gold, kelloggs breakfast, and yellow pear. Sun gold is a hybrid cherry tomato and is by far the best, and is almost orange if you let it ripen longer. Kelloggs is like a big beefsteak type tomato that's a little milder, but I honestly don't remember it that well. Yellow pear is a pear shaped cherry tomato that grows tons of fruit and great for picking and eating in the garden, but they do lack flavor.

Latest posts