Anybody else started any seeds

Wobblyshot1

I've got some tomatoes and peppers started. Should have started the peppers earlier but they will do ok. Gonna start some more tomatoes in a day or two...Now, if the ground would dry up enough to till...

Attachments

• 20200320_101711.jpg
    20200320_101711.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 984

GMB54

Only around 40 total. Last year i had about 60 if i recall. Mostly peppers but i also grow Asian long beans, Thai basil and burr gherkins from seeds.

Numex Orange Spice jalapeno, CARDI Scorpion and Aji Panca. Ive got another 10 in a window...Aji Amarillo and Antep Aci Dolma. I still need to bring up a couple Death Spiral, a couple brown Reapers and Joes Long Cayenne.
h9WQS4Z.jpg

GMB54

DaveB":1ni0vryh said:
Just tomato's so far. Thinking of some green beans. Any favorites or tips?

Im partial to the Asian yard long beans. The Liana from Southern Exposure is great. Nice long tender pods. Grows like mad in warmer climates and tolerates cooler ones also. I only plant four of them and in the peak of the summer i cant eat them fast enough. They blanch and freeze ok. I never tried canning any.

https://seedracks.southernexposure.com/ ... eed-packet

WTM

DaveB":2cn4obhy said:
Just tomato's so far. Thinking of some green beans. Any favorites or tips?

depends on what you like, a strong flavored bean or a light flavored bean. ive grown several different ones and settled on taylors dwarf hort, which is my wife's favorite because its light flavored and the kind they cooked at family reunions. its a flat italian type and a true heirloom dating back to the 1800's. pick em green and use as green beans or let them turn purple and shell them for dried beans.

kentucky wonder pole beans were favorites of my grandparents. good as a green bean or shelly bean and also an heirloom.

contenders or blue lake are classic bush green beans. i still grow blue lakes to give away and to pick young for chinese buffet style green beans.

MickThompson

I grew some yard longs a couple years ago. Great for sautéing. I didn't think they froze all that well. As far as "regular" beans are concerned, I'm a contender bush bean guy. We like the flavor and they yield heavy.

GMB54

Yeah the yard longs are better fresh. Stirfried and blistered. I have used them for green bean casserole too. Not bad. To freeze them its critical to blanch first. Lay them out on wax paper on a cookie sheet. Put the whole thing in the freezer. Bag them up after they are frozen.

The Liana are by far the best ones ive grown. Its a black seed variety. The pods will stay thinner and more tender than all the others ive tried. If they get too large just let them go to seed. Dry and save the seeds.

Latest posts