This is my first elk
7w6y4b9.jpg

This my partner's (Bobby) first elk
6xguj5g.jpg

This is my partner's (Jackie) first elk
6q37w4j.jpg

We hunted the 2nd rifle in SW CO.

4onaside

Good deal! Two of my friends are on their way back to West Tennessee tonight after hunting the past four days around Southfork. No snow, and I don't think much colder than here. I understand that they did not see the first elk. Where did you hunt, unit, etc?

skynimrod

Those are nice bulls
"Congrats" to the both of you
Close shots, fast drops, other elk, tell us some more :grin:
I love elk hunting

Quiver

Bobby had been out mule deer hunting last year for the first time. He talked Jackie and myself (Flatland cherries)to go after elk during the second rifle. We all agreed to pack in as far as our bodies would let us. We new the area of the San Juans was heavily hunted and needed all the advantage we could muster. We packed into the national forest with 60 pounds each for about 3 miles and camped at the base of a mountain by a creek. Our hunt started opening morning on the hill just above our camp. We had 4 cows pushed by us by all the hunters towards the road. There were orange hats as far as we could see, but none close, and none between us and the mountain. We had a chance to glass the surrounding hills and found a little elk sign. The next morning we awoke to 3 inches of snow and 11 degrees. Saw plenty of deer but no elk. We found a new hill about another mile in. The next morning we were perched on our new hill at daylight. We didn't even get a chance to get everything out before the pasture started filling up with cows. The guys on the road were doing their part great. 14 cows, a spike, then 2 bulls. I scrambled to get a range for Bobby. He was gassed. 435, 450. Shoot the last bull, He's the biggest. They were moving along away from the roads and hunters at a pretty good clip. Finally he stopped. 485, take the shot. Bang, thump, and the 5x5 staggered behind a evergreen and fell.
The cows ran towards us and the other bull stood by his bud. We watched for a minute then I took the 300 from Bobby and told him to give me a range. 507 he says as a lay prone trying to get my heartrate below 200. Bang, thump, and my 4x5 humps up. He gives me another round, bang, thump, and my bull walks 20 yards and lays down. His bulls stands up and he goes into panic mode. We change position again and he puts another round in him. Walks 20 yards and piles up. We are down to the last round(yeah we were too weight conscious), and my bull's head is still up. I send one more round downrange and we call Jackie to come spot while we work our way down to the pasture. We found them 20 yards apart. Spend the next 2 days and nights packing elk, getting food, and a quick rest. Note to self: Never, ever again shoot 2 at one time. Now it's Jackie's turn. We find a new pasture. Morning shows nothing. We move further in where the aspens touch the mountains. Perched on a hill, we have a 4x5 bugle and come within 50 yards going to the pasture. Jackie passes. Cows start piling in. This bull has his hands full until we hear another bugle coming from the oak brush behind us. He is making his way down into the pasture when suddenly we catch a glimpse of Mr. 6x6 easing out of the aspens in front of us. Bobby ranges 300, 250, 225, and he stops. I'm taking pictures of him and everyone as fast as I can. Bang, thump, and he doesn't make it 40 yards before piling up. We pack him out the next morning. Day 6 gives us a rest and the first shower in 8 days. Day 7 takes us to town to a taxidermist and a table served meal. We spend the remaining days exploring new areas for next year. We can hardly wait to go back. We all admitted that this was our most memorable hunt so far.

I'll try to post some more pics soon. The views we had were amazing.

megalomaniac

SWEET!

I would almost guarantee you could do the exact same setup next year and have the same success. I wouldn't be able to sleep for the next 360 days!

skynimrod

That's what it's all about.
The Battle with the Bull Wapiti's that second morning sounded like a good time to me :grin:
Thanks for sharing looking forward to pics

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
Believe it was a 300WM out of a Encore Pro Hunter. The bullets were handloads if I'm not mistaken.

Latest posts