Surprise Stripers

rsimms

I was really nervous about yesterday's guide trip. Catfishing is always better with higher water flows (larger releases through the TN River Dams). Standard summer pattern is extreme low flow in the morning, and cranking up to high flow in afternoon when everybody turns up the AC and power demand is high. But who the heck wants to fish in the afternoon right now!

Our smallmouth bite has tailed off with water temps high, but I bought live shiners and figured I'd roll the dice. My clients were late so we weren't fishing until nearly an hour after first light. :mad:

But lo and behold, a bunch of stripers moved in below Chickamauga, not doubt taking advantage of the shad fry that were spawned a couple months ago. The two youngsters I had on board did a GREAT job fishing fish on light tackle, topped by a 14 lb. striper on 6 lb. test line. What a battle! Plus a big bonus largemouth and a solid bunch of cats. I love it it when I go into a guide trip with bad feelings, but come out of it on Cloud 9. 😁

Attachments

• Turan01.jpg
    Turan01.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 105
  • Turan03.jpg
    Turan03.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 91
  • Turan04.jpg
    Turan04.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Turan05.jpg
    Turan05.jpg