Stripers

Spurhunter

Went after the stripers for the first time this year. These were 7-10 and 5-13. I love catching them, but from now on I'm catch and release. I can clean 10 crappie in the time it takes to clean 2 of these. We were using artificial lures. These dudes are fun to fight.
554e418ee00f56edbeb2c7953723456d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Awesome man!
I wanted to try and catch some Saturday but never did.
Meant to bring some stuff to throw at them in between catfishing but forgot to put stuff in my box for it.

Spurhunter

RUGER":3dj35dxb said:
Awesome man!
Meant to bring some stuff to throw at them in between catfishing but forgot to put stuff in my box for it.

Judging by your pics with HT you were very close to the place I catch them.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Spurhunter":knwgdaqk said:
RUGER":knwgdaqk said:
Awesome man!

Judging by your pics with HT you were very close to the place I catch them.

I'm sure I was. LOL

I saw a few blow up and wanted to get ahold of one bad. :D

WTM

dont run your knife close to the skin and you wont have to trim off much of the redline. same for asian carp if you ever want to filet one of those nasty things.

Dbllunger

Spurhunter":1sddv27m said:
Dbllunger":1sddv27m said:
Those are some good eating size ones. Congrats!

CATCHDAWG":1sddv27m said:
I love catching them and they can be a little harder to clean but to me, it's worth it. I think they are a great tasting fish!

Do you guys cook them just like crappie or bream, or is there a tip / trick I need to know?
I like to grill them like salmon. Rub a little olive oil. Sprinkle some Carl's seasoning and place on a grill at about 400. Good eating. Rare that I keep them to eat because I like bluegill and crappie better.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

WTM":3ptm6e50 said:
dont run your knife close to the skin and you wont have to trim off much of the redline. same for asian carp if you ever want to filet one of those nasty things.

Believe it or not, I have a buddy from Louisiana (they'll try anything :lol:) that caught some asian carp bowfishing and decided to try them. He said they were quite good. So he cooked some for some friends and they thought they were eating crappie. I find it hard to believe they thought it was crappie, but that's what he said. I'm not sure I could get past the thought of what I was eating. I hate those slimy bastiches.

Spurhunter

Dbllunger":2e3ivc8h said:
I like to grill them like salmon. Rub a little olive oil. Sprinkle some Carl's seasoning and place on a grill at about 400. Good eating.

My girlfriend just asked me today when I was going to grill some fish. She much prefers grilled over fried. Sounds like she is going to get her wish.

WTM

Spurhunter":224cmwjj said:
WTM":224cmwjj said:

Believe it or not, I have a buddy from Louisiana (they'll try anything :lol:) that caught some asian carp bowfishing and decided to try them. He said they were quite good. So he cooked some for some friends and they thought they were eating crappie. I find it hard to believe they thought it was crappie, but that's what he said. I'm not sure I could get past the thought of what I was eating. I hate those slimy bastiches.

asian carp are not bad, not comparable to crappie, imo, more like cod in texture and flavor. i slit their gills and bleed them then stick them on ice then wash all the slime off before fileting.

for the stripers, we always had a fish fry with them. taste similar to a small largemouth, not as good as crappie but they are good. around 79-81 we caught them literally by the hundreds from pickwick up to clifton, along the ledges, always the end of march, dragging carolina rigged crawfish up the drops . lol, i always wondered if we broke the law because the first i can remember the 2 fish limit was around 94 or 95. anyhoo i was just a teenager fishing with my step dad.

Latest posts