Suppressing a .221 fireball

JThuntsalot

I have Both a .221 fireball in a Remington 700 and a .17 fireball Cooper. I was thinking of having the .221 threaded to run a suppressor. Anyone have any thoughts on that and would it be worth it. I use the both for yotes but have also killed does with the .221 and never had one go more than 20 yards because of the internal damage it does. Shooting all hand loads thru both.

44 mag

I don't see why you can't suppress it. Don't expect it to be super quiet due to the velocity. I would guess the biggest question would be making sure the can can handle the pressures coming out of the muzzle. Not sure a 22 can would work. Might blow the guts out of it but again I really don't know. I have never shot either caliber.

JThuntsalot

It is hot and my muzzle velocity is around 3900 fps. I was just thinking about it and was wondering what other people would think about doing it. I am still learning about loads and all the other t stuff. My stepdad did all the loads on it so I have right at 600 rounds for it as is.

mike243

I think a lot of the suppressed loads are reduced charged not full house ammo, it might not help enough to make it worthwhile.

Wiley

With the calibers you listed a suppressor will take away the muzzle blast but you will still have the ballistic crack of the bullet, in each caliber, breaking the sound barrier. You'll be able to hear that aspect a lot better. Just getting rid of the muzzle blast on those 2 would be a great benefit if I remember correctly in hearing one a couple of decades ago. It may have been an 18 Bee that my friend had but I believe all 3 of those calibers have a lot of muzzle blast.

Latest posts