Succession Planting

Poor redneck

This is the method I use so I am not getting everything in at the same time. It seems to spread the harvest out through October and sometimes into November. I have found that some plants are only going to produce so much fruit then fade. By spreading out my planting times I am getting more for longer, when one plant is on the downslide I have others on the up slide. I will be starting seed in the house here in the next week or so and will stagger seed starts sometimes through June.
Just thought I would thro that out there for discussion.

Sako

I agree... I am starting to do that more and more... Specifically with yellow squash and Zuchinni. I am going to try and add this to watermelon and green beans this year...

What specifically have you found that does well like this?

Poor redneck

I agree with the yellow squash, zuchinni and do recomend the green beans. I also stagger my cucumbers, okra and tomatoes. I try to have at least three planting times for those items but like four.I may start staggering my bell peppers. My other peppers may only have two planting times, they seem to produce well through the season. This year I am giving up on any kind of melons, critters get em before they can even rippen.

fishboy1

We talked about doing that last year and only got a second planting of green beans in but they burnt up.

We can a lot of tomatoes so we do a big planting early. Any volunteers that come up are our 2nd planting. :)

Putting out a few squash/zuchini early, then plant a couple more in late June should work out well. We only planted a couple yellow squash last year but had 8 volunteer plants come up so we were buried in squash early.

Anybody have a magic bullet for squash beetles? We get clobbered about mid July. Worried that any late plantings will get destroyed by those little buggers before they can do much.

Sako

fishboy1 said:
Anybody have a magic bullet for squash beetles? We get clobbered about mid July. Worried that any late plantings will get destroyed by those little buggers before they can do much.

Wow... I am glad i do not have that problem and I am sorry you do... We eat Squash and freeze it like crazy (20 squash plants last year)

Good luck on the solution

Poor redneck

Sako said:
fishboy1 said:

Wow... I am glad i do not have that problem and I am sorry you do... We eat Squash and freeze it like crazy (20 squash plants last year)

I don't have that problem either. My problems a lot bigger in size. Tree rats, rabbits & possums are my culprits. I sprinkle cayenne pepper around and a little on my plants to try and ward them off. Don't work on the melons though, reckin the smell is to sweet to to refuse. I live well inside Nashvegas and my neighborhood don't seem to admire my country ways so I have to be carefull how I handle them critters.

Sako

The raccoons have me worried about planting watermelons this year... i have seen them in the yard several times... I sure hope they do not get into them...

fishboy1

Poor redneck said:
Sako said:
fishboy1 said:

I don't have that problem either. My problems a lot bigger in size. Tree rats, rabbits & possums are my culprits. I sprinkle cayenne pepper around and a little on my plants to try and ward them off. Don't work on the melons though, reckin the smell is to sweet to to refuse. I live well inside Nashvegas and my neighborhood don't seem to admire my country ways so I have to be carefull how I handle them critters.

Live trap and .22 with CB longs. Big plastic garbage bag. Not that I would do anything like that.... ;)

Poor redneck

fishboy1 said:
Poor redneck said:
Sako said:
fishboy1 said:

Live trap and .22 with CB longs. Big plastic garbage bag. Not that I would do anything like that.... ;)
Green Hills area in Nashville,so I wouldn't do anything like that either. Nor would I think of that nice pellet gun I got last fall. But I will tell you this, there are more critters on an acre around here than most have on 100. And these are city critters, a lot differant than them good ol' country ones.

Latest posts