Strutter decoy on public land

AveryPC

While walking back to the truck after hearing no gobbles in the first hour of day light yesterdayI saw the silhouette of a gobbler at full strut. It was foggy and I thought there was a chance he didn't see me at the other end of the field since he appeared to be facing away. I got set up made a few yelps and sat still for about 30 minutes. After getting no response I slowly got up and to my surprise the "strutting Tom" had not moved an inch. After further inspection with binoculars it was a decoy. I didn't even consider this because I thought strutting decoys were banned. After checking TWRA's website I saw this definition,"On WMA lands, the practice of fanning or reaping is prohibited. Fanning/reaping is defined as hunting or stalking wild turkeys while holding or using for hunter concealment any of the following items: a tail fan, a partial or full decoy with a tail fan, or a tail fan mounted to a firearm. Tail fans include those made of real or synthetic feathers or an image or likeness of a tail fan applied to any material." So, are strutted decoys not banned? I am still very confused.

AveryPC

Can't use anything to hide behind/sneak up on a Tom. Now just out in the field being a "decoy" to pull them in is legal but using it to get closer is not legal. Trying to not only save a few birds but to keep people from getting their face shot off.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense I was just under the impression anything with a fan was banned. Good to know going forward.

Carlos

I'm not sure they're legal on WMA's at all.
Let's double check on this one, since it's a new rule.

I'm not sure they're legal on WMA's at all.
Let's double check on this one, since it's a new rule.
"Fanning or reaping wild turkeys: On WMA lands, the practice of fanning or reaping is prohibited. Fanning/reaping is defined as hunting or stalking wild turkeys while holding or using for hunter concealment any of the following items: a tail fan, a partial or full decoy with a tail fan, or a tail fan mounted to a firearm. Tail fans include those made of real or synthetic feathers or an image or likeness of a tail fan applied to any material."

"hunting or stalking" "while holding" "using for hunter concealment"

Guess they have to look out for the crazies!! Who in the cornbread world would hide behind a decoy on public land?

knightrider

"Fanning or reaping wild turkeys: On WMA lands, the practice of fanning or reaping is prohibited. Fanning/reaping is defined as hunting or stalking wild turkeys while holding or using for hunter concealment any of the following items: a tail fan, a partial or full decoy with a tail fan, or a tail fan mounted to a firearm. Tail fans include those made of real or synthetic feathers or an image or likeness of a tail fan applied to any material."

Guess they have to look out for the crazies!! Who in the cornbread world would hide behind a decoy on public land?
The facebook grab and grinners

Hduke86

Michael Dumb-Dell

deerfever

I do not use decoys at all but if I did there is absolutely zero chance I put out any form of a gobbler decoy on public land. Not even the funky chicken! For that matter not even a hen that could be mistaken for a gobbler. Lol,