String life.........?

Bottom Hunter

I've been bow hunting for many years, but I'm not exactly an expert on all the aspects of it......

In one thread, I asked about taking the bow down during the off season. After reading the responses (and thanks for them)I began to wonder about something else.....

Do bow strings have a certain amount of years in them....or do they have a certain amount of "draws" in them.....?

I had one break on me while sitting in the closet....

I guess my questions are.......do they wear out the more you use them? With proper matenance, how often can you expect to replace one and how often has a string broke on you during the season?

thanks

BH

bobthebowhunter

I don't personally think you have to wax them everytime you shoot. I use a visual approach to waxing. If the string looks a little "furry" I wax it. After the 3rd or 4th waxing I like to clean excess off and then re-wax.

Now as far as string life goes I also use visual inspection. You can obviously tell if one is damaged to the point that it needs replacing. Note: be sure to remove cables from the cable slide and inspect them where they meet the cable slide. I once had a situation where everything looked fine, but under my cable slide one of my cables was about to let go.

The number one way I tell if a string needs replacing is by checking the bows specs. Axl to axl, brace height, draw length, ect. If you are out of whack then you can add subtract twists to cables or string depending on the situation. If I have to repeat this process too often, or if the specs are way off (more than a 1/4 inch) I'm replacing. I usually end up putting upwards of 3000 shots on a set or a couple of years.

I'm no expert, but this is what I do. It's worked so far.

ShaneHallum

bobthebowhunter said:
I don't personally think you have to wax them everytime you shoot. I use a visual approach to waxing. If the string looks a little "furry" I wax it. After the 3rd or 4th waxing I like to clean excess off and then re-wax.

Now as far as string life goes I also use visual inspection. You can obviously tell if one is damaged to the point that it needs replacing. Note: be sure to remove cables from the cable slide and inspect them where they meet the cable slide. I once had a situation where everything looked fine, but under my cable slide one of my cables was about to let go.

The number one way I tell if a string needs replacing is by checking the bows specs. Axl to axl, brace height, draw length, ect. If you are out of whack then you can add subtract twists to cables or string depending on the situation. If I have to repeat this process too often, or if the specs are way off (more than a 1/4 inch) I'm replacing. I usually end up putting upwards of 3000 shots on a set or a couple of years.

I'm no expert, but this is what I do. It's worked so far.

X2.. If I see my string is frayed in spots, I usually replace it. If its just got a fuzz look 2 it, I just wax it and go on about my shooting

Double-D-Team

Bottom Hunter,

bobthebowhunter hit the nail on the head.
But let me remind you that to much max is bad too. Take some dental floss and pull it up and down your string..look at the excess wax...you will see the dirt build up in the wax...so with that being said , its good to remove old wax and replace with fresh good wax.

#1 rule always check your bow before shooting.

I'm no expert but I play with the experts... :grin:

JayMc

I watch mine closely and wax/clean it regularly, but as a rule of thumb I change the string/cable on my hunting bow every spring.

Bertman

my bow maker recommends every 3 years replace the string.So far that is trueit's been 3 years and it is wore out.

Latest posts