stratos vs. triton

farside

BOTH ARE GOOD BOATS, WORRY MORE ABOUT THE CONDITION,HAVE THE BOAT CHECKED OUT( MAY COST YOU A $100 BUCKS BUT COULD SAVE YOU THOUSANDS) TAKE TEST RIDE IF THE SELLER DOESN'T WANT TO, WALK ON

arctic_cat

Can't beat either one of them. Like stated above, worry about the condition of the one you are looking at and the condition of the motor.

walker

i have a 04 tr196 they are good boats, it has plenty of storage and fishes like a bigger boat.i like the older straros better than the new ones. both are good boats

Unicam

I like both as well. I have a Stratos 283DC 18.6'. It runs the water like a bigger boat, very stable in heavy chop. Either one is a great boat, find either one in the best condition and go for it.

David

I've got a triton, but went with it only because of the motor that was on it. Either boat will be fine, just worry about what's on the back more than the brand of the boat.

SilverFox

In reality I don't have much experience with a Stratos. I've been in several Triton boats. They all were pretty good boats and pretty fast. They all needed a driver when you got up around 60 and beyond. They want to walk with you. If you don't mind driving them they are fine... I like doing the grandpa driving where I just lay my arm across the wheel and roll.

One of the guys I fish with has a 196 with the 200 mercury. It'll run over 70. It fishes fine and seems to be well built. He came out of a similar set up ranger boat... The R91 with the 200. He likes the Triton better.

Winchester

Like swapping nickels, not much difference in the 2 imo. Stratos has been downgraded a lil to an entry level boat below the Rangers since Ranger bought them when OMC went bankrupt years ago. Still a good boat as is a Triton but overpriced imo!

JimFromTN

I would be more concerned with the motor on the back than which boat unless you are talking mid-90's stratos. After Earl Bentz left, their quality went down hill. My biggest complaint with stratos is that they usually come with a johnson/envinrude on the back. I would stay away from any motors that have the word "Ficht" on them or "Optimax" if its older than 2003. If you are worried about the condition of the boat, get in it and put you weight on the drain and see if it is spongy. Thats usually where the floor starts to rot first. Also, grab the motor in the back with it tilted up and lift up on it to see if the transom flex's at all.

rutnstrut2

I had a stratos 196 loved it! But like stated before I over 70 they walk alot. Have a tr21 now I love it too! Tuff choice but I would say triton.

Latest posts