Garmin GT 54 vs GT 56

woodsman04

I know I'll get different responses…. But is it the 56 worth it? I feel like I can find brush and rock ok on side vu with the 54. Im also still learning and probably not even using it to the fullest extent. I definitely can identify things with it on Clear vu. I would think 2d would be the exact same.

I am relatively new to fishing electronics, and I feel myself wanting to become a nerd with it.

woodsman04

I'd also like to add screen size and model. I'm not a computer person. But doesn't the image quality have a lot to do with the screen size and model? Like would a GT 54 on a 106 Ultra be better than a GT 56 on the 93sv?

All of the names and models get confusing. I don't know the difference between the 73/93sv series from the 106 and 126. One is the UHD 2 and the other is ultra?

May all sound confusing the way I typed it out. But it really is confusing to me.

Thanks again.

fullstream

I have the 56 on a 93/73 setup on my boat. My buddy has a 54 on his 93/73 set up, there's a negligible difference in performance. From what I understand the 56 shines in deep water use (100ft+). I don't think for freshwater I would spend extra for the 56. Mine just happened to come with a 56 with the bundle I got. I do plan to switch out my 73 for a 93 upfront as 7" is smaller than I want.
Just my .02 , hope it helps.

WTM

youll get better images with a UHD2, ultra or 8600 series with a gt56 and the full frequency sweep. imo, the 93UHD just doesnt have enough resolution to support the gt56 enough to make much of a difference, except maybe side scan distance. another thing to consider is the extra length of the 56 as some may or may not be able to mount it on some boats and will need to opt for a gt36 y-cabled to either a gt8ih or gt15ih for in hull shoot thru 2d or the transom mount model for aluminum boats. same goes for trolling motor as it may not fit.

the differences in the units, the main thing really, is better cpu's and screen resolution. the uhd2 has better screen resolution, faster cpu, wireless networking, navionics+, and the gt56 over the uhd and with all that draws 2A more.

the ultra is a step up even further in resolution. i imagine there may be a refresh in this line before long.

a note in these uhd transducers: run them on different freqs when you run side vu and clear vu at the same time.

woodsman04

youll get better images with a UHD2, ultra or 8600 series with a gt56 and the full frequency sweep. imo, the 93UHD just doesnt have enough resolution to support the gt56 enough to make much of a difference, except maybe side scan distance. another thing to consider is the extra length of the 56 as some may or may not be able to mount it on some boats and will need to opt for a gt36 y-cabled to either a gt8ih or gt15ih for in hull shoot thru 2d or the transom mount model for aluminum boats. same goes for trolling motor as it may not fit.

the differences in the units, the main thing really, is better cpu's and screen resolution. the uhd2 has better screen resolution, faster cpu, wireless networking, navionics+, and the gt56 over the uhd and with all that draws 2A more.

the ultra is a step up even further in resolution. i imagine there may be a refresh in this line before long.

a note in these uhd transducers: run them on different freqs when you run side vu and clear vu at the same time.
I like your response, but I also have no idea what you're talking about.
So…

I have at the bow a 106sv hooked up to a livescope 32 or whatever. (Also the GT54 on the trolling that I use seldomly but I do use…)
I don't really want or need another one there. Anyhow, at the console I have a 73sv with a GT54 on the stern.
Would it be better to get another 106 or 126 with a GT54 or the 93/73 with a 56???

You answered my question partially I think. Sounds like I'd be better off with a 106 hooked to a 54 than a 93 on a GT56. I'd that right? I'm not a tournament fishermen. I just want the best for finding brush piles or whatever structure/cover that might hold crappie. Would be nice to identify actual crappie on them but it isn't a must.
Normally I use my GT54 with the side vu on the lower frequency. If I find some brush I mark it and will drive back over it later with 2d/clear vu combined.

When I fish, I normally use my maps and side vu and drive around until i find something worth fishing, keep going, mark several waypoints, then come back through and see which ones I think I have fish.
I have hundreds of brush piles marked. Normally in summer I don't even fish really, I scout just as you would early fall for deer

woodsman04

I have the 56 on a 93/73 setup on my boat. My buddy has a 54 on his 93/73 set up, there's a negligible difference in performance. From what I understand the 56 shines in deep water use (100ft+). I don't think for freshwater I would spend extra for the 56. Mine just happened to come with a 56 with the bundle I got. I do plan to switch out my 73 for a 93 upfront as 7" is smaller than I want.
Just my .02 , hope it helps.
I like your thoughts. I'm just a leisurely crappie fishermen. I also like bream and shellcracker. I have even found beds on my GT54 side vu.
I located beds physically with my eyes, and then got at the console and idled by them and they do actually pick them up. This is at 455z. I can't see anything on 1080

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I like your thoughts. I'm just a leisurely crappie fishermen. I also like bream and shellcracker. I have even found beds on my GT54 side vu.
I located beds physically with my eyes, and then got at the console and idled by them and they do actually pick them up. This is at 455z. I can't see anything on 1080
I never could run my gt54 on my 8610 in the 1000mhz as it was just too dark . I realized the 455 was easier to see things.
I have the gt56 on the boat i have now along with the 126 and 106 and the 1000mhz frequency is alot better and shows things better in deeper water.

WTM

I like your response, but I also have no idea what you're talking about.
So…

I have at the bow a 106sv hooked up to a livescope 32 or whatever. (Also the GT54 on the trolling that I use seldomly but I do use…)
I don't really want or need another one there. Anyhow, at the console I have a 73sv with a GT54 on the stern.
Would it be better to get another 106 or 126 with a GT54 or the 93/73 with a 56???

You answered my question partially I think. Sounds like I'd be better off with a 106 hooked to a 54 than a 93 on a GT56. I'd that right? I'm not a tournament fishermen. I just want the best for finding brush piles or whatever structure/cover that might hold crappie. Would be nice to identify actual crappie on them but it isn't a must.
Normally I use my GT54 with the side vu on the lower frequency. If I find some brush I mark it and will drive back over it later with 2d/clear vu combined.

When I fish, I normally use my maps and side vu and drive around until i find something worth fishing, keep going, mark several waypoints, then come back through and see which ones I think I have fish.
I have hundreds of brush piles marked. Normally in summer I don't even fish really, I scout just as you would early fall for deer
if you want the better side imaging then itd be a 93uhd2 gt56, a 106 or 126 ultra with a gt56. then you could use the 73sv you already have for mapping/2d. like TITANSFAN said, youll see a lot more with the gt56 that the gt54 will miss due to the little lower uhd frequency and higher power.

woodsman04

if you want the better side imaging then itd be a 93uhd2 gt56, a 106 or 126 ultra with a gt56. then you could use the 73sv you already have for mapping/2d. like TITANSFAN said, youll see a lot more with the gt56 that the gt54 will miss due to the little lower uhd frequency and higher power.

So is a GT54 on a 106 or 126 ultra better than a GT56 on a 93uhd2?

I'm just trying to get the most of my investment I guess. And save money. I don't like buying the most expensive everything if possible

woodsman04

I never could run my gt54 on my 8610 in the 1000mhz as it was just too dark . I realized the 455 was easier to see things.
I have the gt56 on the boat i have now along with the 126 and 106 and the 1000mhz frequency is alot better and shows things better in deeper water.
My 73sv with a GT54 on the 1080 frequency is very dark as well. I exclusively only use 455