Prop vs jet motor…..

redblood

Ok. Trying to hear pros and cons. Im more of s stream fisherman and have a jon boat we use all the time on local
Rivers. Stones, duck and elk. Just run it with a big trolling motor. Problem is, there are large spances of prime water that we used to fish as a kid, but cant now due to all
The access points being closed off. So im considering a big river boat with super heavy welded aluminum hull and a 65 to 80 horse jet motor- side consolde. This boat would still be fine in lake or just buy a bass tracker and keeping using small john boat for lakes and try to longer river floats with it. Issue is, i know nothing about jet props. It appears this can run shoals, but are they reliable.considering either a havoc river rat or a bass tracker pro 170

Hduke86

I'm not a pro on a jet motor but I prefer center console up front. It's easier to "read" the river and navigate. I'd definitely go with a tunnel hull to get the jet foot tucked up instead of hanging down low. The thing with jets are they reduce power so a 60-80 hp power head will be in the 35-50 hp output real range. It's something to think about if you go big heavy river boat.

Out of your two choices would be hands down the river rat for the win

redblood

I'm not a pro on a jet motor but I prefer center console up front. It's easier to "read" the river and navigate. I'd definitely go with a tunnel hull to get the jet foot tucked up instead of hanging down low. The thing with jets are they reduce power so a 60-80 hp power head will be in the 35-50 hp output real range. It's something to think about if you go big heavy river boat.

Sand you across a shallow gravel bars.

scn

If you are primarily a river fisherman, the jet is pretty much the only way to go. You can run one on the lake, but they aren't as good as a prop boat. on the lake.

The heavy plate boat stuff is tough, but the heavier it gets, the more motor you need to move it. Most of my friends with jet rigs have looked for some of the lighter welded boats.

You will be disliked by a ton of other fishermen, particularly the waders, as a high percentage of jet boat owners run their boats like they own the river with little regard for the safety of others.

redblood

If you are primarily a river fisherman, the jet is pretty much the only way to go. You can run one on the lake, but they aren't as good as a prop boat. on the lake.

The heavy plate boat stuff is tough, but the heavier it gets, the more motor you need to move it. Most of my friends with jet rigs have looked for some of the lighter welded boats.

You will be disliked by a ton of other fishermen, particularly the waders, as a high percentage of jet boat owners run their boats like they own the river with little regard for the safety of others.
Oh I understand the last part for sure. I encounter them- but most i see are 30 yr old adolescents with coolers full of bear. I just want to moor up to my spots and let the current and trolling motor take us (me and my 12 yr okd son) back to the launch point. Im in a very rural remote part of river.

I do think im leaning towards the lake boat and keep doing what im doing on the rivers.

Redfox

The power reduction is real. 60-90 head puts out 40-65 at the foot. If it's bought factory with a jet it should be stamped with the usable power.

I would look really hard at blazer if I was buying a new hull. You need something that's tough with good welds but isn't crazy heavy. Those heavy rigs are hard to drag loose when you stick one. The tunnels can help with picking up rocks but it can make it loose bite easier. The jets are terrible on the lake but if you only fish in gentle weather it'll do the job. I definitely wouldn't get a tunnel if I ran the lake very often.

Get a good suicide knob, remember when you get nervous hit the gas, carry a tool kit(enough to pull the foot apart), there's really no reverse, oh and the guzzle gas!! Welcome to the wonderful world of jets.

Setterman

I've spent a ton of time running our rivers with jet Drive outboards as well as on the lakes nearby. They work fine on the lake and offer the versatility needed around here. I've driven and ridden in several sizes of War Eagle boats with jets as well as a stealth craft which is a hybrid boat design. Both have been excellent

BigCityBubba

Depending on the age and model of the motor, you could just buy a jet prop lower unit separately. They are relatively easy to change out. Last time I was visiting a friend in AK, I saw allot of people doing that.

spoonie

I have a 16ft alweld with a 90/65, when and if I upgrade it will be a havoc river rat with a 115/80. The hull design lets you actually steer the boat in turns where as in a flat bottom you just kinda skip and slide. Run all over the duck and buffalo with this set up.

Snowwolfe

Depending on the age and model of the motor, you could just buy a jet prop lower unit separately. They are relatively easy to change out. Last time I was visiting a friend in AK, I saw allot of people doing that.
Fine and dandy but then in most cases you also need to remount the motor to a different height. Some people add an adjustable jack plate, just have to make sure it has enough adjustment range.

Boll Weevil

Another option; tunnel hull. Trimmed properly can run in some pretty skinny water.

1684773402591.png

BigCityBubba

Fine and dandy but then in most cases you also need to remount the motor to a different height. Some people add an adjustable jack plate, just have to make sure it has enough adjustment range.
Is that a big deal especially if you go with a hydraulic jack plate? If you are going to put an outboard jet on a boat that was not designed for a jet, wouldn't you need the transom built up anyhow and once it was built up it would have to be torn apart to use a regular motor with it again? More thinking of the situation where he wants to keep the motor and sell the boat later on. It all seems very expensive. Whats a few more dollars?

waterman

ran one for a few years on a 14/36 jon boat on the caney. it would go anywhere. in the fall i had to constantly stop and get the leaves off the bottom intake. to run shallow you need to be planed out, which is basically full throttle. had several wading fly fishermen cuss me to no end because i had to pass them wide open. they didnt understand i couldnt ease by them. and yes .. it sucked the gas! decided to go back to an outboard with a trolling motor .

waterman

i still have a small jack plate that was needed to get the motor high enough on a short transom if anyone might need it. posted on the pay it foward at one point but no one was interested

Snowwolfe

Is that a big deal especially if you go with a hydraulic jack plate? If you are going to put an outboard jet on a boat that was not designed for a jet, wouldn't you need the transom built up anyhow and once it was built up it would have to be torn apart to use a regular motor with it again? More thinking of the situation where he wants to keep the motor and sell the boat later on. It all seems very expensive. Whats a few more dollars?
It certainly can be a big deal. My memory tells me a jet needs to be mounted about 6 inches higher. Finding a hydraulic Jack plate with this amount of range could be very expensive.
Without an adjustable jack plate, lifting and remounting a motor weighing at least a couple of hundred pounds is no simple task.

The concept is good though.

waterman

this was extremely shallow water , . mine was bad about sucking small rocks a debris into the impellor if the intake was to close to the ground. wide open ,on plane, i could cross the gravel bars where the boat wouldnt float. made me pucker up more than once expecting drag bottom.

BigCityBubba

Without an adjustable jack plate, lifting and remounting a motor weighing at least a couple of hundred pounds is no simple task.
Unless the boat is designed for a outboard jet, the transom will have to be raised so its way more than just lifting and remounting if you don't have a jack plate.

Latest posts