stock cutting

TN RDG RNR

I am buying a .243 handi rifle it is a youth model but is still going to be a bit long in the stock for my son.

What are the cations i should take and any draw backs on shorting the stock?

num1medic

Only draw back I can think of is decreasing value of gun. You'll have to trim butt plate of gun once stock is cut. If it has the cushioned butt plate, just take it off to see if that make for a better fit, may not have to cut. You can always length-en the stock with one of the recoil management systems out now once your kid outgrows the shortened stock.

AllOutdoors

I have a H&R youth model as well and had to shorten the stock. Take the recoil pad off and wrap duct tape around the end of the stock. Next make a mark 1" in at the top and bottom and draw a line between the two marks. Then I used a chop saw to cut along the line. Note: Be sure you are cutting over the tape as this will decrease the splinters at your cut. Also use a blade with as many teeth as possible and go very slow. Remove the duct tape from the stock side toward the cut to reduce splintering. If there are any splinters at the end of the stock where you made your cut then use some brown shoe polish to darken the splintered areas to match the color of the stock. Duct tape your recoil pad back to the gun and mark through the recoil pad where the screws will go. Remove the recoil pad and re-drill the holes for the screws. Remove the tape and attach the recoil pad. This works perfect for my 7 yr. old daughter. Hers is a 7mm-08 but they are the same in the youth form.

WTM

ah i didnt realize that you already had a youth stock, sorry. the poster above gave some good advice. if you have access to a table saw with a rip fence and finish cut blade or a miter saw would work too. a disc sander works wonders for finishing and grinding the butt pad to fit.

Latest posts