Still struttin

74MOPAR

IMG_5864.png

th88

North Mississippi on June 10th

KnrA7ow.jpg

Definitely an odd year. I've heard WAY more reports than normal of bird strutting and gobbling into late May/early June. One thing thats a little different is the number of year old birds on the landscape. I'd like to think the above average number of jennies has something to do with it, but who knows!

Boll Weevil

I don't know the answer to this but gotta think lots of toms are just plain worn down by now. I wonder if there's increased mortality when breeding drags on this long?

megalomaniac

It's not just the strutting that is late... .the toms still haven't bunched back up into their traditional bachelor groups that roam together until next spring. Gonna be some late hatched poults this year I suspect.

th88, I bet your theory is spot on... more jennies from last year's good hatch has more receptive females later into the early summer.

deerfever

I hunted two different counties 3 hours apart and did see gobblers grouped back up in both the last two weekends of season . I had 5 gobblers together feed by me the very last weekend of the season on Saturday. Last Wednesday my son and I went fishing in a different area and heard 3 different gobblers gobbling in different places and you could hear the hen that one of them was going to so they were still going strong. Strange year indeed!

rem270

I've had the same one strutting across the road since season closed. To me it's normal and reminds me of deer hitting scrapes in February and March. It's normal but seems abnormal lol. I'm in rut 365 days a year so I can relate to them 😂

woodsman04

Turkeys can breed until they molt. They will start the molt in August. Soon after daylight begins to decrease. Loose their feathers. Hens stop ovulation. Gobblers testicals wither down from almost the size of your thumb to the size of your pinky finger nail. Gobblers quit creating testosterone. A gobbler in spring may weigh 18-22lbs, but in fall they only weigh about 15-16 lbs. that's any where from 10-20% of their body weight which is a big deal.

th88

Saw one strutting yesterday. 3 gobbs with 1 hen. Only 1 gobb was strutting and he didn't stay bowed up too long.

BPhunter

Turkeys can breed until they molt. They will start the molt in August. Soon after daylight begins to decrease. Loose their feathers. Hens stop ovulation. Gobblers testicals wither down from almost the size of your thumb to the size of your pinky finger nail. Gobblers quit creating testosterone. A gobbler in spring may weigh 18-22lbs, but in fall they only weigh about 15-16 lbs. that's any where from 10-20% of their body weight which is a big deal.
Those male gobblers sound like today's so-called millennial males!🤣

Latest posts