Starting to see lots of breaking fish

Atchman2

Last night I could see breaking white bass all over the place from the bank. I went back later, but a guy had the "prime" spot at the end of the point. I think he changed lures like 20 times and never caught any. I just had two poles and no tackle box. I was casting my popper float with white jigs beneath it. Then I went to my Ultralight with Gulp minnows and got a couple hits, but then tangled it in another old fishing line! Hard to not break 4 lb test line.

They are there, but they seem to be hitting really small minnows. I mean small like 1". The other guy was throwing bass sized lures that were 2.5 to 3" long and having zero luck. Normally I use a spoon when fishing for them. I'm probably going to put a Foley spoon on my popper rig and try tonight. I may catch some Skipjack for bait if I don't catch any white bass. :)

megalomaniac

small white rooster tail will wear their butts out. But takes longer to get the treble hook outta their mouth, as they will often manage to bury all 3 hooks in their mouth at once.

had a friend whose folks had a small house on Ky Lake back in the late 80s/ early 90s. We caught over a hundred in less than an hour on our best trip on white rooster tails.

Atchman2

small white rooster tail will wear their butts out. But takes longer to get the treble hook outta their mouth, as they will often manage to bury all 3 hooks in their mouth at once.

had a friend whose folks had a small house on Ky Lake back in the late 80s/ early 90s. We caught over a hundred in less than an hour on our best trip on white rooster tails.
I love catching those stupid things! A few years back it wasn't unusual to have a dozen boats working a big school of them. It was so much fun with all of us catching fish and teaching each other some tricks to catch even more. I don't think I saw a single one that wasn't thrown back so we were all fishing for fun.

Latest posts