squirrel

C1295

Alright, for those of you who love to chase the tree Rats what is your favorite time to go? Morning Evening afternoon? And what do you do to keep from getting ate up by mosquitos?

Buzzard Breath

how long do the pads and the fuel cartridge last on one?
I think the pads last around 6 hours and the cartridges 9. But, I'm not for certain. I normally leave mine running when I'm done with the hunt, so mine only last 1 evening and I need to replace both the pad and cartridge before the next hunt. 😁

C1295

I think the pads last around 6 hours and the cartridges 9. But, I'm not for certain. I normally leave mine running when I'm done with the hunt, so mine only last 1 evening and I need to replace both the pad and cartridge before the next hunt. 😁
That sounds like me.... haha I will go grab me one and give it a try I am sick of getting ate up. I have been scouting the last few weeks some property and I look like I have leppercy or somthing for getting eaten up. 🤣 🤣 🤣

Shag

I don't sit still enough to use a ThermaCELL. I usually spray my hat with repel.
That's the way I squirrel hunt! Stalking and still hunting. Listen for them in the trees, listen for them cutting hickory nuts and the chips falling, watch and listen for them on the ground. God help them if the spot me first and start barking…they just gave up their location! I truly love chasing squirrels. But I just can't make myself like eating them (and I've tried everything)…so I gave it up a few years ago. Hate killing the little rascals and letting them go to waste.

More on topic, I won't go bow hunting without my thermacell. Worth every penny when you're in a stationary position for hours on end. I usually get two sits per pad. 3-4 per fuel cartridge. I turn them off about 30 mins before I plan to come down from the stand. Then I put the whole unit in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I have found that helps keep the pads from drying out. I've had them still be potent on a Saturday morning hunt after putting them away the previous weekend.

Andy S.

Mostly hunt mornings, from daylight until 10AM, or whenever I get my limit, or run out of ground to hunt, or hunt back through. In the morning, I much prefer hunting east to west in an attempt to keep the sun at my back. With that said, many times I have to follow the creek or tree-line where that approach is not an option.

Lt.Dan

That's the way I squirrel hunt! Stalking and still hunting. Listen for them in the trees, listen for them cutting hickory nuts and the chips falling, watch and listen for them on the ground. God help them if the spot me first and start barking…they just gave up their location! I truly love chasing squirrels. But I just can't make myself like eating them (and I've tried everything)…so I gave it up a few years ago. Hate killing the little rascals and letting them go to waste.

More on topic, I won't go bow hunting without my thermacell. Worth every penny when you're in a stationary position for hours on end. I usually get two sits per pad. 3-4 per fuel cartridge. I turn them off about 30 mins before I plan to come down from the stand. Then I put the whole unit in a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I have found that helps keep the pads from drying out. I've had them still be potent on a Saturday morning hunt after putting them away the previous weekend.
Some people don't know to remove the scent glands from the squirrels arm pits. It does give them a nasty taste. Just thought I would mention this in case you may have not known. Also, if you like cider vinegar I know a marinade you can buy and cook them in that does wonders. It's called Chiavetta's and you can find it on Amazon.

bowhunterfanatic

If you want to make another drive down to my part of the world you are welcome to come hunt with me anytime. I too, like you, don't care much for eating them but I have a bunch of people local to me who do, so they never go to waste.

Atchman2

I've almost stopped because I don't want to disturb the bow hunters. When I was a kid, the most exciting time for me was the first day of squirrel season along with the first dove hunt.

One of the hardest things to do anymore is to find some good trees. The subdivisions have gotten rid of so many of them. To be honest, the best place for me to hunt them anymore is my backyard with an air rifle. :D

Since I lost my squirrel dog, I'm totally bummed out about hunting them. I need to get a new dog and start getting it trained.

Latest posts